quickbooks users?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JML, Jan 8, 2001.

1. JML

JML LawnSite Senior Member

hello, i was wondering who uses quickbooks pro. if you do i have a few questions i would like to ask you. thanks

2. BIG D

BIG D LawnSite Member

I use quick books pro. What's the problem?

3. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

Me too, whats up?

4. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

Shoot me an email. I'm an accountant / Lawncare Co. Owner. Ask Away!

5. Vandora Lawn & Landscape

Vandora Lawn & Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I use quickbooks, how can I help?

6. JML

JML LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, thanks so much.. Can you automate it so that it will generate invoices
    for lawn maintenance customers at the end of the month? Also can you give a
    specific service a specific price for a customer, so when I add a lawn care
    app to Mrs. Smith's bill it will come up at $45.00? I have a few more I
    might have figured out, but those are the big ones for now. Thanks again

7. smithf36

smithf36 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

We use QuickBooks Pro too. My wife attended a two day class on how to fully use it. I would highly recommend attending one of these classes if you can. It was put on by Intuit, the makers of QuickBooks. My wife says the class was well worth it. She learned how to use a lot of the features we were not using in the past.

Now to answer the question I think you're asking. QB2000 will not remember different prices for different people. For example, You "mow and trim" Mrs. Smith's lawn at $45 and you do the same for Mrs. Jones at $60. QB2000 will not remember the different prices for the same "job" at different customers.

However, QuickBooks Pro 2001 will. If you enter Mrs. Smith as the customer, enter that you "mowed and trimmed", $45 will come up in the price so you do not have to enter it every time. Also I do not believe you can automate the billing, but I will try to find out.

I hope this answers your question. If you need more help e-mail me at smithf36@ytci.com

Joe

8. Island Lawn

Island Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I bought Quick Books yesterday!
    It is already a quantum leap for my business!
    One problem/inconvience. I have to manually open the internet to recieve updates/ect. The program tells me that since I dont have Microsoft Explorer, it cant automatically make an internet connection for me.

9. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

If you install MSIE (its included on your quickbooks CD) your inconvenience will be gone. Just dont configure it as your default browser. Though, if you are presently using Netscape (as I once did) you may welcome the change.

10. Indiana

Indiana LawnSite Member

I have used Quickbooks for three or four years. I love it.

I set each of my different customers up for mowing as a different item number in the descriptions. I used their first couple of intials from their last name and a three digit number to assign the service usually performed.

Example: Last name- West Usually mow & trim
    Item #: W001

In the item description I would fill in that their service is usually $45.00

This way I go down my calender book from the truck and get dates and the services performed on that date. I do it customer by customer each with their own invoice. I take a highlighter to mark each service as I enter it into Quickbooks. I do this at the end of each month and mail the invoices.

As the checks come in I enter them as payments for each customer. At the end of the year, I just print the report out and go over it. SEND IT TO MY ACCOUNTANT and I'm done.