1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by jeff_0, Mar 18, 2004.

1. jeff_0

jeff_0 LawnSite Senior Member
    from md

i bought this software because most people here use it. I got the basic. I wanted to if i do a invoice do it automatically save the income and do like a total of all the invoices i do? And i wanted to know to be able to add income that i make do i have to do a invoice for each customer or is there a section that i can just add income for a job without doing a invoice. thanks
  2. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

jeff- I am afraid you need to spend some time with the owners manual for Quickbooks, These are very elementary questions and you are probably not getting replies because of this. To answer your questions, Yes.

I would recommend buying a third party book such as (don't take offense) Quickbooks for dummies. I would also suggest buying some type of accounting made easy book. By your terms that you used to describe your sales I think you need to spend a little more time learning about the accounting process before using quickbooks. Sorry if this is not what you wanted to hear.:eek:
  3. charlies

charlies LawnSite Senior Member
    from earth

we mostly mulch and mow lawns, spring/fall clean-ups, plow, bushes.

anyway, here's how i do it.

first you have to create customer (you can do this right in the invoicing window, just type in name and hit enter, if doesn't already exist, will ask you if you want to add new.

in item column, click on drop down, select the item you want (i.e. mow/trim/blow, or bushes, or mulch beds, whatever you have created in the past) like w/ the customer field, if you need to add a new one, you can do so here.

the way we do it, and many different people around here do it many different ways, we make an invoice for each job we do. then, at the end of the month, i go to customer screen, go to statements, click on don't make statements w/ zero balance, and print out statements for all the customer who have balances. at this time, i go to create reports, choose open invoices, print this screen, look over the report, pull the statements for customers that need past due and collection notices, make those, mail the whole shebang out. of course, as the checks come in, i go to customer screen, choose receive payments, record check number, date and amount, it subtracts the payment from their open balance, go make the deposit, start over again at the end of next month.

there are so many things about quickbooks not mentioned here, and so many ways to take care of billing, you just have to set up and get familiar with your own system.

for mowing: after a few months of invoicing, you get so fast at it that you don't really need to use the memorized transactions, i have found that if you are really good w/ quickbooks and you set up small and versatile sets of memorized transactions, then it can be useful. maybe a set for each neighborhood. but you can't be too broad with them because of the variety in your routes from week to week. i don't use them myself.
  4. JFGLN

JFGLN LawnSite Senior Member

I use Quickbooks to keep track of my business. It works great, but it takes awhile to get the hang of it. I have seen classes on Quickbooks offered at the community college.
  5. leadarrows

leadarrows LawnSite Senior Member
    from N/A

6. tedk

tedk LawnSite Member

nice link leadarrows.

charlies, ooooh, aren't you fancy, let me ask you this, how many lawns have you mowed lately? how many yards of mulch have you put down?
  7. jeff_0

jeff_0 LawnSite Senior Member
    from md

Thanks charlies and leadarrows
  8. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I don't do invoices with qb. I do statements. To add charges I use the "Add statement charges" and enter the info in there. I believe you can add recurring charges in there. Once a month I send a statement.
  9. Henry

Henry LawnSite Senior Member

The problem with using statements in QB is you can't add sales tax. The problem with invoices is you can't show a previous balance, if there is one. Either you're screwed.
  10. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Thankfully, no sales tax in MI. Never knew that, though.