1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

quickest method

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by American_Lawn, Jan 16, 2008.

1. American_Lawn

American_Lawn LawnSite Member

I have about 120 properties from a contract that only requires cut, trim, and blow every week. I am trying to find the fastest method possible. Last year I mowed 20 yards a day by myself with a 32mini z. I was thinking of adding another 32wb to my arsenal and having one guy mow the back, while I mow the front and who ever finishes 1st trims and the other blows. MY ? is, would buying another mower speed things up enough to cover the cost of another mower? I am already hiring a helper this year to trim while I mow, but I thought this other method might be faster? Any suggestions??? thanks in advance
  2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

No....don't need more mowers....use one guy to trim. You can get more productivity on small lots with a 36" Sentar Sport with rapid height.
  3. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Very good advice.
  4. American_Lawn

thanks, I was just wanting to see if there was any faster methods out there.
  5. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

buy a faster mower and still have one trim and one mow.
  6. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

For that many accounts buy another mower then when you both are done one can trim ahead while the other blows. The reason I say this is I hate having a trimmer get ahead of me. Some people will disagree with what I am going to say. I like having the mowing done 1st that way no spots get missed, now on the other hand if you are doing bi-weekly mowing this would not work do to taller grass(it makes a mess). If you mow every week then I believe that quality and speed increases. It also puts in your mind to mow closer to things which reduces trim time!

Hope this helps!
    P.S. I have two people mowing and one trimming, whoever gets done mowing starts trimming.
  7. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

a two man crew. one guy mows, while the guy is mowing other person edges and then begins to string trim. by the time the person mowing is finished its safe to begin blowing down.

on 1/4 acre lots, you end up finishing about the same time.

much more efficient than adding a second mower...IMO
  8. American_Lawn

Thanks, I was thinking that that would be quicker, it seems like it would be if you think about it. Cut mowing down into half. My goal is to pop out 25-30 of these a day. It is possible, I did 20 by myself. I have a few more equipment upgrades to try also. Thanks again for everyones input.
  9. IMAGE

IMAGE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from midwest

What if you got the extra mower, and 3 helpers. 2 mowing, 2 trimming. Done in 2 days?
    3 extra days to count your money, or to make it on other jobs?
  10. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

then you need wither a crew cab or a second truck to haul the extra person...

there gets to a point where the extra people, don't do as much to productivity as one would one think. its not and exact reproduction of labler, IE 2 people are twice as fast as one and 4 people are twice as fast as 2. On larger properties its not as noticable, buton smaller properties, it becomes much more noticable, and then you also end up paying for windshield time.

I coudl bang out a about 30 1/4-1/2 acre lots a day with a single helper. A 3rd person i got up to 35.... but on my larger properties, is were I made the time back up with the 3rd person.

Personaly wioudl not add a helper until you have a full schedule.....or are nearing havinga full schedule. paying for labor eats into your revenue pretty quick. before youget a helper, have a plan in place to beginh searching for more work. to fill up the extra free time you have....