quickest way to take down bamboo

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by Florida Gardener, Sep 15, 2011.

1. I have a big clump to remove next week. Chainsaw? Power pole pruner?

Not sure of the cultivar(if that makes a difference).

2. j-ville native

j-ville native LawnSite Senior Member

definitely a chainsaw... my neighbor's bamboo tree grows like crazy. every once in a while i have to take a chainsaw and cut down the part of the tree that is against the fence so that it doesn't push the fence over lol

3. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

You want to get as much of the roots as possible otherwise they are going to come right back. Being one of the fastest growing plants on the planet, if you can I would rent bobcat and yank em out. Get a big one too because they are a bear to get out.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Can you do the stump cut method on them?
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. j-ville native

j-ville native LawnSite Senior Member

i cut them at the stump. they grow back though so its a never ending job

6. fl-landscapes

Not sure about that method. But there isn't much of a stump and you will have a lot of what your calling stumps as they grow in Dense patches of individual plants. All I know is if you don't dig out as much of those roots as you can you will have a re growth problem. Probably will regardless of what you do but this will give you the best shot. I think. I got some pictures of bamboo I pulled out with a bobcat, let me look
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. bamaturf

bamaturf LawnSite Member
    from alabama

bend it over a little then whack it at a 45 with a real sharp machete

8. fl-landscapes

heres a couple clumps we pulled, you can see the grapple on the skidsteer in the pic, not great pictures but figured I show what we did.

bamboo-before.jpg

bamboo-removed.jpg

9. fl-landscapes

house may not look like much but it was a 2 million dollar house in cape haze. The owners bought it run down and re did everything from the landscape to the paint in and out all new tile throughout etc. Guy and his partner developed the system to extract gas from landfills and clean it to be re-sold. They sold the company for a fortune!

10. bamaturf

bamaturf LawnSite Member
    from alabama

i think its too late for the machete!