Quicksilver carfentrazone

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by RigglePLC, May 26, 2008.

1. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Has anyone else tried the fourth active ingredient in Speedzone by itself? I bought some Quicksilver and tried it on several weeds.
    Moss--no effect at 72 hours. Not silvery thread moss--not sure what species.

At a weedy vacant lot, fair results. Slight injury to grass. Younger leaves of weeds burned dead or nearly so. Older leaves not much affected, or only brown spots. These weeds sprayed:

ground ivy
    garlic mustard
    black medic
  2. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Quick Silver by itself doesnt' work that well, and FMC will tell you that. But tank it with a 3-Way and it smokes!

What rate did you use by itself?

I run 1 oz of QS and 50oz of 3 Way/ac and get awesome results!

PSUTURFGEEK LawnSite Senior Member

I agree, a few years ago I was doing some field tests on quicksiver and we were tank, mixing it at a 2gallon/1000 rate with three-way and or another nufarm product them we sprayed it low volume with the centri we had at the time and our results on clover at two days were excellent.
  4. Terraformer

Terraformer LawnSite Member

I have used Quicksilver w/LV400 and it was deadly. Yes I did get some injury to turf, but the combo nuked dandies and broadlleaf weed. I credit Rodney (rcreech) for the tip about QS.
  5. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

What kind of surfactant did you use with the Quicksilver and at what rate? Also what type of spray equipment and the parameters it was operated under. I get burnt weeds in 24-48 hours if I am doing Quicksilver by itself on newly planted lawns. Even sedges look bad in 48 hours. Flat fan nozzles operated at 40 PSI and 1-2 gallons/M. Check 0.25-0.5% nonionic surfactant in the spray dependent on how well the weeds are being wet. Check. I will start spraying and if I see the spray beading or not spreading out over the weeds, I stop to add more surfactant to the tank. The sedges are deceptive because the leaves are easily wet. However, their leaves are resistant to penetration by solutions, having 0.25% nonsilicone surfactant causes things to go through leaves. MSO or crop oil concentrates are the best for this, but I am careful about how this will make ester herbicides too hot for the grass. No MSO or oil if 2,4-D or anything containing it is in the tank.
  6. Terraformer

Terraformer LawnSite Member

I'm using QS at 1oz. per acre and LI 700 at 20oz. per acre. I've also used a surfacant product from Tractor Supply "Top Surf" and have determined that I'm getting good results. My spray equipment are FIMCO 25 gallon units (boom and boomless).
  7. RigglePLC

I used a one-quart pump-up hand sprayer, and added enough for 1000 sqft, about .09 milliliter. Plus a squirt of dish soap. The effects were visible in 48 hours. Sprayed on May 24. I will be watching the test. Stay tuned.
  8. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

How much area was covered by a Quart of that mix? Volume, pressure and quality of spray pattern all affect how well carfentrazone works.
  9. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

Carfentrazone is mostly just a burn down. It burns younger leaves giving the appearance of quick kill. It also helps systemics penetrate.
  10. RigglePLC

I didn't use the full quart of solution of course. According to tests on concrete drive last year a quart covers about 500 to 1000 sqft at low pressure with the nozzle adjusted to fairly fine mist.

The violets and ground ivy are looking more brown today. Waiting to see--will they die or bounce back?