1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Quik resolve....they dont pick up doggie doo.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Liquidfast, Jun 2, 2006.

1. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Well, two of my guys have been bugging for me to call 3 customers who do NOT pick up their doggie doo. So, last week and yesterday I have found a solution.

If they are just a couple of pieces...no prob, Im not a jerk.

If it is a huge problem and THEY are jerks....here goes.

I put on el cheapo shoes last week and went for a few cuts. I purposely stepped in the doo and made a point to drag my shoes across their patio in two places. I did it in such a way that it "appears" as though I didn't know it was there and I drag my feet when I walk.

Yesterday, I tracked their doo thru to the front of the house, again, two light drags but definetly noticeable.

Today, I get a call from two of the offenders asking if I knew anyone that would pick it up for them on a weekly basis or if I could charge extra to pick it up for them......a negative to a positive.
  2. Big Wes

Big Wes LawnSite Member

People who have animals and don't pick the crap up disgust me. I have a couple clients like that too. I make sure I leave all the crap there. Wash my mower tires and shoes if need be right next to their doors. Also, if they have a dog , I treat it like there's a BMW in the driveway, they pay more.

Actually, I'm to the point that if they have dogs, I don't even want the property.
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I feel you, I'm like the other guy, 2-3 maybe 4 piles I don't have a problem but this bs with the backyard minefield !!!

Then I have the problem of having to call a day or 2 in advance to let them know I'm coming so they can put pooch up for the day (good thing I've never forgotten to call), thou this can help with the conscientious pet owner, they then also pick up the poo and that's cool.

Last but not least, you have the dirt runway where the dog(s) like to run back and forth, usually close to the fence but regardless, the dirt patch(es) that send up clouds of dust, choke you to death and cover your machine in dirt.

I am, however, a dog person.

But I LIKE the streaking shoe trick LOL, I will keep that one in mind, 2 funny.
  4. Big Wes

Big Wes LawnSite Member

I forgot to mention that this person has 3 dogs. He's a doctor and she's a stay at home mom. I asked her if she lets her kid play in the yard. She said that her husband cleans the yard the day before I come, I told her that he must be using a blind eye.

Also before I forget, they have a pool and had a guest over while I was mowing, lets just say the smell from my mower slinging that crap around was not Channel #5 if you catch my drift. The account pays well $55. per week so I just mow it and clean up right there and leave it for them. I have a 24' enclosed trailer and I sure don't want it stinking!
  5. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I am seriously considering charging a pick-up and disposal fee next year. Don't know what it will be but I would bet it's going to be around $5 a pile.:nono:
  6. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

Wait till their yard is so covered with dog **** you can't walk without stepping in it. Then they ask you to bag it. Then wanna know how come the mower did not pick up the dog ****.