quikchute...how much blow out with a Super Z?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shady Brook, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I rigged up a chute blocker for my Super Z, and my experience with Double blades was a boat load of grass flying onto the deck, and into my face. I may go the quikchute route, but wanted to know what kind of blowout I will face with one? Does anyone use doubles and a quikchute and if so, how does it work? I do not have the blowout baffle, will this help dramaticly?

Your help is appreciated.

Jay

2. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

I have the Hustler anti blowout baffles on my Super Z. I also have the Quikchute. The baffles will keep the blowout down considerably especially with leaves.

3. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

4. matthew horner

matthew horner LawnSite Senior Member

I also have a super z and quikchute. No blowout for me, but I do get a windrow just under the chute, and the front right hand corner of the deck under the front right caster wheel acts like a blower. I've been trying to fix this to no avail.
    Matt

5. NoWalk4Me

NoWalk4Me LawnSite Member

Jay,
    Definitely get the baffle. Its a cheap price to pay for what it does. Before getting the QwikChute I ran a mulch kit and w/out the baffle it was like taking a "grass shower", especially from the left-front of the deck. The baffle all but eliminated this. I removed the mulch kit and got the QC and kept the blowout baffle and all was bliss! I say "was" because i just recently removed the QC to run a BacVac for the fall. I've never run doubles but I'd say it would still cut down on the blowout regardless.

6. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

You guys are awsome, I love how people are so willing to help a brother out.

Did you fellas with the blowout baffle notice greater vacume when you installed it? I have been having more stringers the past week. I am not sure what the cause is, but thought the baffle may be of some help. I am running factory blades with a gator magnum on the bottom.

It sounds like there must be a pretty good seal when the quikchute door is in the closed position, which is great.

How tough is the quikchute? Will it take a blow and keep on ticking? Has anyone had any problems with a damaged unit? Will they be easy to repair?

Thanks again, and any further info would be awsome.

Jay

7. NoWalk4Me

Jay,
    The QC has a pretty heavy spring that pulls the door shut and depending on where you mount the unit you can get a completely flush "seal". Mine will run completely shut and w/ a little pull of the lever it opens partially, maybe a 1/4 open and I got a lot of blowback when in that position. When fully open its just like not having anything on the deck. The only negative to running closed is the windrow that piles up underneath. Its nothing a second pass or blower won't handle and that's why I used the partially open setting. Only next to mulch, etc would I run it closed. Its a pretty tuff unit w/ no damage so far.

8. matthew horner

matthew horner LawnSite Senior Member

no walk, as i said i also have the windrow. Do you have the anti blowout kit? Are you running hustler?

Yes they are tough, just make sure to apply wd40 or equivalent every now and then.

9. NoWalk4Me

Matt,
    I'm running single high-lift BobCat blades form JThomas. A little lighter weight and thinner than the Hustler high lifts. The only time I got the "row" was while cutting pretty thick turf w/ the chute shut all the way. Yes, definitely using the blowout baffle and if anything it probably makes the row worse as it doesn't let any air pressure (clippings) out the front. Then again I may be wrong as more air hitting the chute may lessen the "row" left. I wouldn't recemmend the QC as a replacement for a true mulch kit but for the versatility of dispersing when I can and only mulching where location dictates.