Quikchute ?s

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Imow4u2, Jun 21, 2006.

1. Imow4u2

Imow4u2 LawnSite Senior Member

Had a few questions about the Quikchute OCDC.. Can you leave the unit partially open?? I use the OCDC on my chopper at a 70 ish degree angle on windy days so I don't get covered. I was just wondering If I could do the same, as I will take the factory Deflector off for manuverability... Sorry forgot to mention that this will be on a super Z if it makes a difference...

2. lawnrangers

lawnrangers LawnSite Member

yes you can leave it partially open...qwikchutes all the way!!!!

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I need to come up with something for my SuperZ.

NOTHING out there floats my boat.

4. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

Qwikchute...try one. I bought mine from PJ on the Hustler forum in 02. It looks like it is an OEM part for the machine. Well designed and intergrates well with the deck cutout, Qwikchute sent me a new door with the extension.

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I don't care for that big control handle they have. That's my major concern.

6. FIRESCOOBY

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

Has anyone had a problem with the handle breaking off? I installed mine about 5 weeks ago. Yesterday I noticed the handle looked loose. Grabbed it and it broke off in my hand. The weld had broke where the flange is welded. I called them today and they said mail mine in and they will "repair" it. Not very happy right now. They acknowledged that they have a problem with this and they are working on a stronger handle.

Kinda pi**ed that I spent $241 and it lasted me less than 5 weeks and less than 60 hours.

BTW: The handle has never came into contact with anything other than some very light branches. Not a scratch on it at all. I guess I'll try to get it in the mail tomorrow and hope it is returned fast.

7. Imow4u2

Imow4u2 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm sorry to hear that the handle is a P.O.S. That may be the only thing I will miss about my current chopper the OCDC works well and is engineered to last. I've never hit anything with it, It's still square. I do have one account that has alot of spruce trees for a wind break and I mow around them discharge in, to keep the low branches and needles away from my arms.. Sounds as though I better not attempt this with the Quikchute.. I really wanted a masterchute for the super z but I found out they don't carr them...

8. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

The Quikchute on my Super Z is solid as a rock. I would not trade it for a dixie chopper ocdc for anything. I much prefer it to the chopper unit, and have spent some hours using a chopper. I am amazed the handle broke off, mine is quite sturdy, likely has caught on some things and held up fine. It has been on my mower for two years and has yet to be bent or altered from new, and functions as it did the first day. Maybe they are designing them differently as I know there are some changes, but I think it is the best unit of it's kind. Call Quikchute and tell them about the broken handle, I bet Dale will take care of you.

9. FIRESCOOBY

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

Well, they are taking care of me as far as "repairing" my handle, or that's what he said. The handle is completely and cleanly broken the entire radius of where the flange is on the bottom of the handle.

I thought when I installed the chute that the handle was very, very light duty. Guess I was right.

I'm not very happy right now. I feel they should have sent me a new handle out instead of me having to ship mine to them on my dime, wait for the repair and return. Especially since this is a problem they admittedly know about.

10. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I feel your pain. I am so used to having a chute blocker, it is very hard for me to mow without one! I can understand your frustration, I would want a unit asap. At least if one was on the way, you could weld the handle and get by til the new one showed up. They must be constructed differently then the way they used to be. I am planning on getting another one, now I am a bit concerned!

Good luck