Quinstar

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by yardboyltd, Aug 18, 2001.

1. yardboyltd

yardboyltd LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone own, operate, or seen a Quinstar mower? Thoughts of cut and reliability and overall machine? I'm looking to purchase one used.

I doubt many of you have even heard of them. They use to be made in Quinter, KS but now are in CAN. Two series Lawn Sport is residential and Lawn Pro is well pro.

2. Dochere

Dochere LawnSite Member

Is there a web site?

3. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

sounds weird

4. yardboyltd

http://www.mtnia.com/cpm/Quinstar.html

I've decided to buy it,$2300 ($4600 new) It's the Lawn Sport(residential) but only has 300 hrs. Front deck, Folds up. The ZTR is small and only has a 16hp twin vanguard w/ OHV and pressurized lube. I've heard of these engines lasting twice as long as the Kohler Commands on this site.

This mower will allow me to step up my business image and cut time in half mowing. There about only 4 lawn co.'s with ZTRs. 98% of customer won't the difference between this machine and a good commercial mower. The mower will last me long enough till I can buy a commercial Z new when I need it.

5. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

I like the fold up deck, but it doesn't look like the machine will hold up to commercial abuse.

I know you already made your decesion, so I won't bust your chops about the mower, just wanna say one thing.

Make sure you OVERmaintain this piece of equipment. If you take extra good care of it and keep up a preventitive maintenance program on it you should be able to turn over 3 times what you paid for it and get you a commercial grade "Z".

Good Luck with it!

6. yardboyltd

Your right guido. I knew this machine wasn't meant for commercial use before I looked at it. 11 gauge deck... I plan on making a maitnence sheet with hours and checklist(oil, blades, grease, deck clean, etc.) The engine will most likely will outlast the mower by double. I'll just baby it and I bet it will last as long as I need it. (2 years max.)

Basically my reasoning for getting this is I wanted to cut my mowing time, because I do lots of turning around and going around trees and the rider takes for ever. Plus I couldn't see spending $4000+ for a good used commercial ZTR if I really didn't have a need for it. I have just enough cash for this mower.

If I get as many yards as I have proposed I should be able to afford a nice WB next spring then be able to buy a nice Z by the end of the year.

P.S. This mower you feel like your sitting on the ground practically. It also doesn't have the bulky solidness I've felt on big comm. Z's.

7. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

Good luck with it!! Give us results and info

8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

yardboyltd wrote:
    I've heard of these engines lasting twice as long as the Kohler Commands on this site.

This is the first I've heard of this! While it may be true that some of the 25 Kohlers did have a problem with head gaskets and lifter rap I haven't heard anyone saying that the engines blew up or wore out prematurely. Heck, Eric has one that has almost 4,000 hours on it. A friend of mine has a 12.5 Kohler that is over 11 years old and is still going strong doing commercial work.

9. yardboyltd

I got the info doing a search on Vanguards.

It's late tonight, but tomorrow I'll post the topics I read the other night. I recall one post had a few replies that said the vanguards were getting 5000hrs. A few others had said they got under 3000hrs on the commands. I know it's very possible to out last that, but have you ever looked at eric's maitnence page? I bet few out there take has good of care as he does. I plan to maintain just as much to keep my goin' :)

Maybe they meant the magnums which I hear when it hits 2000 it's usually limping.

10. yardboyltd

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14724&highlight=vanguard

Read the end of the above post, especially the last half. When I first got introduced to commercial mowing, I thought the same thing of BS from my expierence with their small hp motors on mowers and my team's racing kart(Cheap engine class, blew a motor ever other week). Now I've ridden some buddie's mowers and searched here and have new opinion.

Theres a couple more. You can read more by searching for vanguard.