Quonset hut for light storage

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by David Gretzmier, Sep 15, 2008.

1. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

Kinda off topic, but I am looking for someone who has done this or knows someone who has done this- i am looking to construct my own quonset ( arch ) type storage building after the Christmas light season because we are going to be out of space to store folks' lghts and wreaths and stuff.

I have a 2700 square foot building that is 8 foot at the sides and 12 feet at the peak, The roof leaks in spots and has water damage at some wooden framework, so it is time to redo my storage situation rather than just add on if I can help it. the pad I have is 60ft x 90ft, with 30x90 already built on by the current building. my plan is to buy a 60 x 100 x 25'tall Straight leg type quonset, that goes up a straight wall about 6 feet before going to the traditional half aluminum can shape. The first 10 feet of length will be simply to porch cover the doors and provide some attractiveness to the front face, which will be sided with a color vinyl siding to coordinate with the doors. the other 60x90 will be closed in. The new building will cover the old building and then we will tear the old one down from the inside once we move all the stuff to the new, taller part of the building.

There are lots of reasons i want to go with the arch type: I believe I can build this while I don't believe I can build an I-beam structure, It is quite less ( 30%-40% ) expensive by square foot or cubic foot compared to the I-beam, and it requires much less concrete for footers as the roof load and walls is spread equally over the entire length of the wall rather than on beams. further, they are hurricane ( cat. 2-3 ) tornado ( 125 mph ) and heavy snow ( 36lb ) rated.

why am I posting? I want to find someone else who has done this and ask them how hard it was, and how long it takes. I have found some videos on youtube, and looking at the videos, it kinda looks like building with al dente noodles until the arches are up and bolted to one another. at that point it is strong. but until then I fear that the arches could fold up on you or bend in the wind.

anybody have any experience at this?

2. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

why did you have to post it under every topic? we all see it under "new posts" for a member with 1,600 posts i must shake my finger.:nono:

3. Kennedy Landscaping

Kennedy Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Never had one but it sounds like a good idea. Keep us updated.

4. Mark B

Mark B LawnSite Bronze Member

I would think that you could hire a company to build a prefab building fairly cheap, then you could do the plumbing, electrical, insulation part. I would think it would be alot harder to put one of those together then it looks. Plus it keeps you from working. My .02

5. hotrod1965

hotrod1965 LawnSite Senior Member

I can build things square, no arches! Sounds really cool though!

6. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

7. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

My grandfather's pallet and box company used to have an arched roof structure such as you describe, however a lot larger. The walls went straight up for maybe 16 or 18 ft, and at that point some bracing (would you call them trusses?) took up the load of the roof where it began to curve.

I could be wrong, but don't Quonset huts get their strength and stability from the continuous curved walls? Maybe adding a six ft. straight portion would make it less stable, no? If not trusses then maybe some kind of cabling might be needed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quonset_hut

http://www.quonsethuts.org/

8. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

I think you could make a more attractive storage building with Gregg's grandfather's pallets and boxes.

I envy you guys on large lots in rural areas. I'd have chickens running around and stuff, and a deer stand in my backyard.

9. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

I agree here, the arched design may be getting it's strength pushing at an outward angle, not straight downward. At least thats why the Chinese built wooden arched bridges.

10. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Our warehouse is quansit-style, but the walls are nine feet tall before it begins to curve into a quansit-style building. It was built about 9 years ago, and there is absolutely no maintenance. It's fireproof, and no birds can roost or crap on vehicles. It's 5000 s/f. 18.5 inches tall at the top. Four sun panels at the top to allow light. (on a clear night, you can read a newspaper at night inside our warehouse). Honestly I forgot the name of the manufacturer, but I know there are 3 or 4 manufacturers out there. It took five days and 8 guys to put our structure up. This included concrete, etc. It was the best investment we ever made. These buildings withstand tornadoes & hurricanes. They have been built from the Arctic to central America. We chose this style cuz of snow/ice, high winds, no fire hazard, etc. PM me if you need the manufacturer we bought from.