1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Quote From Fall

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by bigviclbi, Mar 10, 2005.

1. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Hey guys I gave a customer a quote to some gardening last fall. I was under the impression she wanted the work done then and since I was slow I gave her a good price since I could get trees and shrubs so cheap. I still wouldn't lose money on the job but I definately would have charged her more in the spring. Now she calls and says she wants the work done. She has a big property and I know that I am going to give her an estimate on vinyl fence and maybe more work.
    Should I a)tell her my written estimate is no longer good?
    b)suck it up and jack her a little on the fence?
    c)the truth?
  2. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

I think you already know the answer to that one.
  3. kerdog

kerdog LawnSite Member

I would have on any estimate, that it is only good for XXX number of days!
    Never know what could change in a couple of weeks, or so.
  4. mcclureandson

mcclureandson LawnSite Member

I agree it's always best to put a date of expiration on your proposals. I usually give them ten days to make a decision. It gives me the option to change my price if circumstances warrant an increase...that being said, if I had the time now I would still do the job at the agreed upon rate, give her a fair price on whatever else she wants in the future and learn from your mistake...date your proposals.
  5. Popper357

Popper357 LawnSite Member

No way, she knows that bids are time limited in any contractor trade. Tell her, even if you didn't specify an expiration. Tell here the truth and if she's nit picking, you don't want any of her business (she'll likely nitpick the whole time) This is what I would do
    There is always a judgement call involved but on paper, this is it.
    Eat a loss, this time of year, you're crazy

Fall was three to six months ago.
  6. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

In the words of the Fonz..."AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA......"...ten days on proposals, and also make sure you have a materials increase in the contracts as well. All prices are subject to change ...
  7. Ecobjs

Ecobjs LawnSite Member

We have had the same problem occur. We would go ahead and do the job in the hopes of making the person a life long customer - todate it hasn't ever worked. Must be something about a person that is too lazy to make a decision, I don't know. Hope you have better luck

Now we have time limits on the quotes, and during the slow times we put a discount on the quote if they accept by X date, to encourage them to act.
  8. newleaflandscape

newleaflandscape LawnSite Senior Member

You have to do it for that price not because you want to gain a great customer, but because you dont want her telling all her friends you jack up your prices. Remember bad new spreads faster then good news.
  9. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

I'm pretty much gonna keep the labor and most stuff the same but just explain that trees are more than they were last year. Sorry lady my price is already too good.
  10. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

The problem was that you compromised price to get some work
    The job should have been based upon the formula normally used.

Now a new year is upon us and industry prices have changed,as well as fuel costs.I would tell her that a new bid would have to be created to reflect those changes.

You either get the job or not,learn from it and move on.