Quote Help

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by gator10277, Aug 3, 2006.

1. gator10277

gator10277 LawnSite Member

Hey guys need a little help. My Church approached me to give them a bid on maintaining the church grounds. Problem is it is a full two city blocks. The contract is renewed yearly and includes the following.

1. grass cut as needed(once a week if required
    2. Parking lot to be kept clean and free of sand buildup
    3. Shrubs kept trimmed to pleasant appearnace
    4. Flower beds kept weeded and clean of trash
    5. Water plants during droughts (no irragation system)
    6. Mulch beds as required
    7. Fertilize as required
    8. Ant control

Other items will be addressed by the committee when needed

Also new construction will be occuring during this year and redustion in services and charges may or will be necessary.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The only help that can be offered is the fact that this can't be answered. There is no way of knowing
    1. How much grass there is. How much trimming involved - How long will it take and how much it will cost you to do it.
    2. How big the lot is. How much of a litter factor is there. (busy area? Next to a shopping center, etc.?) How long will ittake and how much it will cost you to do it.
    3. How many shrubs...what type, how many trimmings per season, etc.. How long will it take and how much it will cost you to do it.
    4. How many flower beds, what kind of flowers? (different types take different degrees of care) How long will it take and how much it will cost you to do it.
    5. How often this is needed. What kind of access to water will you have - leading to......How long will it take and how much it will cost you to do it.
    6. How much mulch? What type (different costs)? Access? How long will it take and how much it will cost you to do it.
    7. This would be something better left to a professional that specializes in this field.
    8. Same as above....ESPECIALLY with pesticides.
    Now, do you see anything in common with all these? The thing that is in common is the main thing that will determine the price. Price is driven by costs - YOUR cost.

3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Your bid will probably too high anyway and that is some real nit picky sh!t they want you to do. Water plants in drought? Are you kidding? Also the whole reduction in services b/c of new construction that means that they can tell you to come back in 3 weeks when the grass is 1 1/2 feet high and cut it for the normal rate. If this was me then I would negotiate some of the details but your bid needs to be high. How many acres is it? 2 city blocks doesnt say much. By knowing nothing else my bid comes to 1800/month with contract saying I will cut every_week spring through beginning of winter.