Quote Of The Day

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JB1, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Heard this comment yesterday from a LCO

"We like to underbid and be a lot cheaper than all the others, cause we like to stay busy"

I guess there is a difference between having a job or having a business.

2. demhustler

demhustler LawnSite Bronze Member

or heaving a fun (busy and business...)
    if they like to pay customers for cutting their grass just to stay busy - good for them
    can't beat that

3. demhustler

demhustler LawnSite Bronze Member

hope, it doesn't cost them too much
    later-on they'll start making money, but right now they can relax an have some fun

they have fun from 8 to 5; go to fun at 8, at 12 they taking break, and in 12:30 they coming back to fun; end to make fun at about 5 - good job, pretty busy, nice to have funny business with them

4. Lawn Pawn

Lawn Pawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from zone 3

Years ago.... the shop foreman came into work, was a cold windy fall day.

Told us, "I Saw Denny on the high bridge walking to work. Stopped and asked if he wanted a ride.

Told me.... No thanks, I'm in a hurry."

Makes as much sense as working just to keep busy.

5. DixieFerris

DixieFerris LawnSite Senior Member

Love that quote. We like this one when someone tells us that our price is a little high

"Well sorry but after factoring in everything from workers comp, to insurance, to gas, taxes, wages and more, your job will net us about 12-15% at most, with everything going right and nothing breaking. Plus we will still be around in the following years when you need more done, not gone after 1 season"

6. coolluv

coolluv LawnSite Gold Member
    from Atlanta

Well at least they know they are working for nothing. Some don't even know that. You can go broke working your @ss off or you could go broke sitting on the couch. I rather sit on the couch. Company I used to work for, the guy that was my boss did the estimating, they gave him a hard time sometimes because he would not get jobs that he bid on. His answer to them was, I have been doing this a long time, and I bid work to make money, I don't need the practice.

I used to love that one.

Dave...

7. JeffNY

JeffNY LawnSite Senior Member

calling around for commercial bids.....

"Sure we'll take a bid, we're always looking for someone cheaper than our current guy"