1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Quote on my own lawn

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by P&C Lawn Care, Apr 9, 2004.

1. P&C Lawn Care

P&C Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

This is just something I had to tell. Yesterday when I got home I had a quote for weed control from one of those LARGE spray companies (you know the ones that are nationwide) for my own yard. I did not call them or ask for one but they service the old guy next door to me, well actually they leave nice big brown patches in his green yard, guess they are out looking for new business. So anyway they quoted $45 for broadleaf spray but then when I did not call them I got a call about 7:30 from the guy who did a quote saying "well it looks like you need a little help with your yard" and we can do it for $35. I politely told him I do my own yard, I did not tell him that I DO weed control for my customers, but if he had came into the back yard he surely must have seen my spray tank. What surprised me was after looking at the quote it said I had henbit, dandelions and crabgrass. Well I know I have two dandelions and a little bit of henbit over along the fence, I have not sprayed them because I put down some Fescue and did not want to hurt it. I walked over my yard twice looking for some crabgrass and cannot find any anywhere. What this spray tech was calling crabgrass is actually the leftovers from some Crocus bulbs that was planted in the front yard. How can they be so incompetant to confuse that with Crabgrass?
  2. P&C Lawn Care

P&C Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I thought this would make a great story to tell to help boost my own weed control program. I can state that I am a certified applicator, 17 years in the lawn care business, currently attending college for my hort degree, and reasonable rates VS the big company who need to charge more to pay for there colorful advertising, who hire kids off the street and give them a crash course in weed id and then tell about my own yard that was misdiagnosed.
  3. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Wow, I have to give them credit. 2 out of 3 ain't bad. Around here, they don't know henbit from a henhouse.....