1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Quote Vehicle

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by MDHomeSVCS, Mar 19, 2014.

1. MDHomeSVCS

MDHomeSVCS LawnSite Member

Hello all, I have a question...my work truck is a 2nd gen dodge ram, it is clean, black, not lettered (yet), but is a gas guzzler and pretty loud. I have been out doing quite a bit of quotes and bidding (doing pretty good actually) and I have been thinking about driving my daily driver to quotes if I'm not coming to or from a job. My question is, it is a Porsche Cayenne Turbo...is it sending the message of I am expensive and want you to pay for my toys...or would it be OK and looked at as professional and representative of a company that's probably successful and good at what it does?

I just don't want to alienate some of my clientele. I am servicing/quoting housing from the mid 150's up to the 3M price range at the moment while trying to grow.

Thanks!

Ram2.jpg

Cayenne2.jpg

Cayenne.jpg

2. DLONGLANDSCAPING

DLONGLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member

i wouldnt drive that to an estimate. Number one thing when being a salesmen is to not come off like a rich guy not really 'needing' the work. People want to help you out giving you the business. At leased that how it was for me the first couple of years until people really wanted me to service their property with a quality standpoint.

Although, if you have a pretty good reputation for yourself. it would matter less.

To each his own. i would put a logo on the black truck and do estimates in that.

Unless you are doing drive by estimates and they dont know who you are if you drive by in the porsche.

3. 205mx

205mx LawnSite Silver Member

No.aybe go buy a small v6 gm that gets over 20mpg
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Bryan27

Bryan27 LawnSite Member

Most people wouldn't know they were looking at a Porsche unless they were to read the back of it. I wouldn't worry about it, if you pull up to a house and have that "gut feeling" that you showing up in a Porsche will have a negative effect, just park across the street. If you pulled up in front of my house with it, I'd think it was a Hyundai Santa Fe from a distance.

5. shane-pa

shane-pa LawnSite Senior Member

I would think that this guy is doing pretty well for himself and must do quality work to drive a car like that. I wouldn't care one way or another.

6. JeffH1

JeffH1 LawnSite Member

I don't think anyone would even notice. Even if they read the back of it, they still wouldn't know because they didn't start putting the Porsche name accross the back until 2010 or 2011 I believe. That looks like an '04, maybe a $20,000 car. Now if it was a flashy, $80,000 2011 or '12 Cayenne Turbo, I might refrain. But in all reality, how much better on gas is it really? The Cayenne probably only does a couple MPG's better than the Ram.

7. Chris_NC06

Chris_NC06 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Sanford, NC

Completely agree. Don't worry about it.

8. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

In the market you're working, it may not make a difference, as they likely have a premium product in their own garage. They'll enjoy the likeness or commonality. With my high-end clients, I never hear a negative word about my equipment. However, the commoners and competition never fail to say something. I always reply with "My stuff isn't fancy, it's just that I take care of everything I own.". I usually get no response and they switch the topic, as they realize they've put their foot in their mouth.

With the truck, I'd just get a quieter exhaust put on it, letter it up, and roll it as an alternative vehicle.

9. Porcupine Lawn and Snow

Porcupine Lawn and Snow LawnSite Senior Member

+3. Wise words.

10. MDHomeSVCS

MDHomeSVCS LawnSite Member

HAHA, thats funny you say that...I cant tell you how many Santa Fe's I have approached saying oh look another Cayenne! LOL

Surprisingly better mileage actually. Mine is the twin turbo V8 and around town I usually get around 14-16 under normal to slightly spirited driving circumstances. Where as my truck is alot more tired and worn and does about 8-9 in town. It drinks gas bad. I know the engine is just worn out and consuming it, but it refuses to die and keeps pulling anything I put behind it!

Edit: and you are right, the depreciation on this thing was a *****!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014