1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Quote Vehicle

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by MDHomeSVCS, Mar 19, 2014.

1. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic

there was a time not long ago, when everyone had those…some people still holding on to them like 8 track tapes, demanding that they are making a come back…

We didn't have so many sets to switch them out, as much as we had them fro replacements because they kept falling off!
  2. Locqus

Locqus LawnSite Senior Member
    from Detroit

I can see both. I personally wouldnt drive it to a quote. When I had a bmw back in the day I would switch cars at home to the truck or my roommates Taurus to take to a quote. Solid car though! Love Porsche. I liked the feel of on par with the people I was quoting, not saying they were beneath me by any means, just how I kinda saw it being that our industry typically does not have the nicer side of things when we show up to work. Now pulling up at a million dollar house to quote? The porsche would definitely make a better impression, than at an average ranch type house.
  3. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

I've pulled my trailer, loaded, to do bigger presentations. I want the prospective customer to see I have the equipment and know they can depend on me for their work.
  4. PicturePerfectLawns

PicturePerfectLawns LawnSite Gold Member

They may be like 8-track tapes. But I rock a set on the back tail gate and both sides of the truck. Got a catch phrase at the top, a list of my services, and a contact number. I get calls at the red light, on the job, and in fact, I had one woman see my magnets today at the red light and roll her window down and asked if I had a card on me. I followed her around the corner, a quick chat, and sold a service. One more account marked on my marketing list thanks go the goold ol' 8-tracks. :clapping: By the way, I've yet to have one fall off. Mine are on 24/7 besides when I wash the truck. Even hauled a load of compost last week and this week, got the tail gate all muddy washing them on and left them on there and they still stuck. I paid $47.00 for three of the thicker mil magnets, much thicker than what Vista Print sells. That $47.00 paid itself off within the first week. :laugh:
  5. PicturePerfectLawns

PicturePerfectLawns LawnSite Gold Member

Makes sense. Funny story, I took the Prius just the other day to bid a job. The guy asks, "Do I have to supply the equipment? Or do you have your own equipment?" I almost rolled on the floor laughing in front of him. And then politely asked, did you ask that because of the Prius? Yepp!
  6. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

:laugh: Brilliant! :laugh:
  7. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

Why wouldn't you letter or wrap your truck if they are on 24/7?

Just curious.........
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Do you guys have small 4 cylinder trucks over there? Found one… http://www.toyota.com/configurator/#!/series/tacoma/
    Its not only a quote vehicle but also back up, take tools, plants, a little mulch or what ever to jobs in an emergency. Bit more practical than just a car and is what customer would expect you to rock up in!

The thought of going to a quote in a Porsche I think sends the wrong message, like the guy on here some time ago that used a Hummer to tow his trailer! Tosser or poser comes to mind! Im talking for work, not daily drive!

I would also assume (right or wrongly) that servicing/running costs would be much greater on a car like that as opposed to a normal everyday small truck or car.

All that said, there is a cost involved in buying a dedicated quote vehicle. Lets say $20k. Thats a lot of fuel to burn in your current truck to make up the difference.
  9. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

This is what I use for my quote vehicle. Going to wrap it this year.

P.S. Plow is not attached, but would be cool as heck if it was...and it worked.

10. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic

I always have mine fall off…I think its because they get cold?