Quoted $7750 for Super Z, over the phone....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnSmith, May 1, 2002.

1. LawnSmith

LawnSmith LawnSite Senior Member

called a place up in Indiana(im in KY) for a price check on a 60" Super Z and they quoted me $7750 while i was on the phone. i called a couple others in my area and havent had any below $8000. 7750 just compared to the other prices seems like a steal!
    what have you guys been paying and/or been qouted?

FWIW, i paid $8000 out the door for my 61" TT w/ 25 kohler.

2. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

That seems real low for a new one. I would check to see if the unit is a demo. If it is a new one I would be real interested in the phone number of the dealer. My dad lives in louisiville and I visit him a couple of times a year so it wouldn't be to much of a hassle to bring my trailer with me next time.

3. duke

duke LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

bet its got a regular seat on it.

4. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

is it worth the $250 to travel for service?

i'd rather spend a little extra and establish a good relationship with a dealer nearby.

remember....dealers are no different than you when it comes to making money, you bid some properties and get them at your bid price, or your customers call around for more bids and go with someone cheaper.

it's true...you get what you pay for.....and service is the name of the game when you have a problem.

when i sell a mower and make a good profit, i have no problem dropping what i'm doing to take care of that customer.

5. LawnSmith

LawnSmith LawnSite Senior Member

its got the suspension seat, whatever that is and its brand spankin new. this place doesnt lend out mowers to demo, they let you demo them on site or meet you at a specified location for you to use.
    this place is in southern indiana about 10 miles from louisville and i am about 10 minutes outside louisville so we are only talking like 20-25 minute drive for service(if need be).
    i absolutely love my SCAG mowers and the place i purchase them from is unbeatable. the only thing lacking in my TT's are the ground speed. not so much in mowing, but in transport. i dont need to mow any faster than 10 miles an hour anyway and thats what my TT's do.

6. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Mine was on sale for $7900.00

7. P&J Lawncare

Capt Devo so what your saying is if you don't make good money off someone you wont provide good service to them. The dealer that I was using for the last ten years had great service but charged sticker for everything so this year I decided that service wasn't worth the $1000 more I was paying for my mowers so I shopped around and bought a super z from a dealer that I had never dealt with before and saved over a $1000 on my mower and his service is as good as my old dealer so I plan on doing all my buisiness with him in the future but that doesn't mean he can start raising his prices on me now that I am going to him on a full time basis. I spend thousands of dollars a year on service and equipment so I believe the dealer should take that into consideration when he decides on a price for me. Service is very important in this buisiness but so is the all mighty dollar so if a dealer decides that I should pay the same price that a one time buyer (home owner) would pay I will take my money else where. Not that I would ever do this but if I did buy a mower from Indiana and brung it back here and something went wrong with it and the nearby dealer wouldn't give me service or decided to give me sh#tty service I would be on the phone to the distrubuter rep explaining to him about how he is about to lose me as a customer (I buy new mowers every year) because the AUTHORIZED DEALER in my area isn't doing his job, how long do you think it will be before I get proper service.

8. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

p&j

it went over your head.....

i'm saying if you buy from a farther distance to save a buck, don't expect service from the closest dealer.

it's so sad because this gets hypocritical.....it is the same in the lawn maintenance biz.....if you don't make good money (turn a profit) you won't give complete service or service at all for that matter. (mow -n- blow one price, additional charge for edging, trimming, spring / fall cleanup)

myself for instance, i won't drop the gate on my trailer for less than $45 regardless of the size property, it's my way or the highway.

...but my price is everything......edge, mow, trim, blow and bed maintenance.

do you give bids and then when the customer says it's too high, you drop the price for the job and still give it your all...hell no!

what makes dealers any different?

i have alot more $$$$$ at stake as a dealer than you'll ever dream about as an lco.

don't get me wrong, i work both sides of the fence, but as an lco your equipment makes you money.......no equipment...no money, as a dealer......his equipment makes him money......no equipment....no money (but dealers have alot more $$ invested)

do the math, it's plain and simple.

i have a couple $100k of equipment sitting around as a dealer waiting for someone to buy it for a couple hundred profit and then also have to be there if something goes wrong to keep it going for the user to make a profit.

do you think dealers are non-profit organizations? are lco's?

to be honest, i wish power equipment dealers would get their $hit together and stick to retail on equipment so we would eliminate to lowballing and underpricing beacause of volume.

buying power equipment from dealers should be like shopping at Wal-mart, here's the price, take it or leave it!

and yes, you can call me a hypocrite, i'm guilty of giving great deals on equipment because i have very little overhead, if i didn't the next dealer would!

Being an Authorized Dealer does not mean it's mandatory that i work on that piece of equipment, i service what i sell....period!

no rep or manufacturer can make me service their equipment.

in fact most manufacturers will make the selling dealer give the servicing dealer up to 10% of the original sale for service it.

sure you can drop it off, i'll get to it (if i ain't watching the game or going fishing)

it's just like saying to your customer "well ok, i'll drop another $20 off the service and throw in a free aeration" yeah...right... that'll never happen?

not to pi$$ anyone off, but give it some thought, dealers are no different than consumers, we are in the biz to make a living.

btw...did you see my new $44k truck in the truck forum? pulling a trailer of mowers to cut or to sell, i still have to make payments...

cain't we all jest git along......

9. P&J Lawncare

It didn't go over my head I just think that you dealers need us alot more than we need you. I can fix my own mowers and I can order my own parts with out you, but can you pay all your overhead without us. I also have $100 thousands in trucks and equipment so it is just as important to save money when it is possible. I also would never buy a mower from a dealer that cuts grass also, why should I buy a mower from someone who is in competition with me, would you sell a mower to another dealer in your town. I aint some scrub driving a $500 truck with a 21 inch mower in the back I do this on a large scale and invest alot of money in my buisiness and I would guess that my bills are pretty comparable to alot of dealers, at least when you get a mower to sell you know that you will see a profit in the near future but I have to wait alot longer to see my profit. I am sure that you do a good job at what you do but I am also pretty sure that I as a consumer I would benefit you alot more than you would benefit me.

10. tgrebis

tgrebis LawnSite Member

I would love to buy my mower and have it serviced by someone who also cuts lawns. This guy would have tons of valuable advice.(If he was honest of course)

just a thought