Quotes 101

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by ToG, Jan 12, 2003.

1. ToG

ToG LawnSite Member

Hi everyone, I finally found my home!

I've been wanting to start my own business for years now and this spring I will finally have the chance. I've worked as a right hand man for a lawncare service in N.Carolina, and as a foreman for a landscape outfit in Florida. I got tired of watching the "bossman" make all the money when I knew darn well I could do the same thing, and do it better! (you'll have to excuse my arrogance, it comes only from my excitement.)

Anyway, I have tons of Q's so I guess I'll start with this one. I need to learn the best methods for qouting a property. Currently I'll only be able to mow, trim, blow, prune and small landscape jobs (i.e. re-mulching, small plant installation, irrigation maintenence) Hey, I'll even wash your car and change your oil for the right price!

2. Got Grass?

Got Grass? LawnSite Senior Member

It's up to you to figure out the "right price".
    #1 reson why people fail is because thay work for a loss.
    You have worked for others for a while, but can you really handle the buisness aspect, I'm not saying you can't but give it great thought, It's a totaly diffrent world.

You need to figure out what your expences will be, what you will need to make per Hr to make a profit. Than go from there.

Add up the cost of your mowers, trucks, trailer, gas, trimmers, spare parts, advertising, and so on & so on... life expentancy, etc... Figure out the ammount of Hr's you will need to work a week to cover your costs.
    Figure how long each job will take you to complete including drive time. Add in a fudge factor for the unexpected, down mower, new tranny whatever... When something goes down make sure you have the money in reserves to cover anything you own... If you loose your truck your outta business unless you have the cash to get it fixed.
    If you cant do the work you cant get paid & you cant pay for the breakdowns, becasue as we all know something WILL and ALWAYS breaks at the WORST time...

Now that your have your costs down your can bid accordingly.
    Job's are always out there, yeah it may take time to find the right ones but DO NOT sell yourself for a loss, as you will NEVER recover. So what if it takes a few years to get profitable jobs at least your not taking a loss on the ones you do have.

DO NOT UNDERSELL YOURSELF!!!!!

3. pilotcoplawnboy

pilotcoplawnboy LawnSite Member

Like my wife says,"Start high and work your way down". All they can say is, "NO". Move on to the next cutomer.

4. jkkalbers

jkkalbers LawnSite Member

It seems like everyone here has a sq/ft price for everything they do. I like to look over the property and I come up with a number in my head. So I think the only way you'll be able to quote is to decide what works for you and how much money you need to make. I'm guessing since you'll be a new company name with no reputation you'll have to bid low to get customers. It seems like the areas I mow there are 2 types of customers, people that just want the lowest price and people that want a reputable and will pay more for it.

5. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

I haven't seen a one size fits all formula for pricing mowing jobs. Experience is probably going to be your best bet. You'll need a minimum price for small areas, square foot/yard for larger areas and a pita factor. Don't forget market pressures (scrubs),they will affect some customers.