Quotes for stuff they didn't ask for

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by eruuska, Apr 3, 2005.

1. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

Hey gang,

I just finished a spring cleanup for a lady, and I'm preparing a quote for some other services for her. We didn't discuss it, but I was looking at her lawn, and she's got kind of a sloped area between a semicircular drive and the road that I think would really benefit from the presence of some annuals. I don't want to be presumptuous about what she needs, but I think it would look nice.

How have you guys approached clients when you see a "need" that they haven't asked for? I'm not sure how to go about this. It's not like the health of her lawn would be enhanced by my planting annuals for her, but frankly I'd like the extra business and I think it would look pretty.

Any thoughts? BTW, I've never met her face to face, just a phone call and a couple of notes I've left her. If that makes any difference.

Thanks!

2. crosson lawn

crosson lawn LawnSite Member

it never hurts to suggest and over the phone is fine if she refuses then thats that. atleast she knows u are paying attention to her property and that u have been there.

3. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

I always let the client know what i can do to better there landscape all they can say is no but they cant say yes to what they don't know

4. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

I wouldn't mention to the customer an offer for an estimate right away. Call and suggest a few things, and if they show possible interest, proceed with an in-person visit and better illustrate it for the customer so they can get some ideas in their head.

5. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I would call her and tell her that you were looking over the property upon completion of her spring clean up, and you had a few ideas that could spruce up her existing landscape. Tell her of your experience in this matter, and explain to her why you feel it may enhance the appearance of her home. If she persues the conversation, fine, sell, sell, sell. If she doesn't persue the conversation, just let her know that you can offer these types of services anytime she needs them.

6. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I do it. Like if i get the mulch jo, i'll give em a lawn mowing quote. or if i get the mowing job i give em a quote for fert.

7. mastercare

mastercare LawnSite Senior Member

I put out some flyers recently with coupons for fert, aeration, and cutting. It turns out that most of my calls coming in are for fert or aerating. But, I go out to do the estimate, and give them an estimate with a full work-up.

While I'm there quoting one thing, I might as well quote others. Most people just hold on to it.....but some take me up on the spot. I've picked up 5 aeration jobs, 2 mulch jobs, 1 weekly maint, and even a minor landscaping bid.

My belief is that people often don't inquire about things because they're afraid of seeing the price....so they don't ask. People love to know what things will cost them whether they are going to hire you or not. So, give them prices.... If they're too lazy to call up a few LCO's to get a ballpark idea of price, then they will also be too lazy to get an lco to bid against your price. Selling more services to existing customers is one of the best ways to expand your business....give them the price, and the option.

8. AEW

AEW LawnSite Member

Just dont come off as desperate and it will work. Everyone can use the advice of a professional because not everyone will come up with ideas for their property. And I would do it in person as well for the professional "touch"

9. greenwithenvylandscape

greenwithenvylandscape LawnSite Member

Any time I give a proposal for work I Always add more onto it. If you already did the work, you can make up a proposal and give it to her when you get paid from the other work. If you just let her know that you came up with some other ideas and wanted to pass them along to her you will make her feel confident with you. put it in wrighting so she can read it later because if you just tell her she won't remember in 2 minutes. Also if there is a spouse living with her she will want to show them.