1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

quoting a leaf removal job

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by SaharaLandscaping, Mar 23, 2010.

1. SaharaLandscaping

SaharaLandscaping LawnSite Member

this is the first time i have offered leaf removal to my services. i was wondering how long you think it would take to clear 1/4 acer yard covered in leaves? this lady wants me to price her yard but im not sure what i should tell her. i would be blowing and raking them into piles and and bagging by hand. is this practical?

2. SaharaLandscaping

also should i carry them off or leave them on her front lawn to be picked up?

3. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

Time and material's. I'm not going to price out your jobs for you. Figure out how much time it will take and charge accordingly.

Ask her what she wants done with the debris. If she wants it removed, again charge accordingly for dump fees and whatnot.

4. ajslands

ajslands LawnSite Silver Member

You'll be there a few hours depending on the landscape (English ivy is a pita) and your equipment, maybe after you do thus for a year you'll want to look into purchasing a Billy goat.

Woa! Woa! Woa! Woa! Woa! "Louis this is not my batman cup"

But don't you have like 6 months before you have to worry about fall clean up?
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Going Commercial

Going Commercial LawnSite Member

I have found estimating fall clean-ups to be the most difficult part of the bidding process for new commercial properties. It is difficult for me to look at a property in the Spring and come up with an estimate of how many hours it will take to clean it up in the fall. I assume that some sort of clean-up was previously performed in the fall by the company who was sevicing it. In my area, commercial property managers want a bottom line price in their proposals and do not go for the " hourly charge for billing clean-ups ". I try to give my best estimate on how long it will take and then submit a solid price and hope I am accurate. I do not know of any formula for time/data that is out there on how long it would take based on property size, # of beds, and # of trees. If there is one , please share it.

6. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Does anyone with a solid foundation of knowledge, or even a clue about this business, ever start threads anymore?

7. SaharaLandscaping

i guess you have nothing better to do than surf the forums looking for things to grip about. you must be a single lonely loser that has alot of time on their hands. judging by your post count, i would assume im right. just because you know everything there is to know about this business, doesnt mean everyone else does. if everyone was all knowing their would be no need for conversation. we would remain silent and refer to archives. you may not want to talk about it but there are others here that have valid questions and there are people here that dont mind answering them. since your so big and bad on the internet, how about meeting me face to face. i come to Locust grove and griffin about every 1-2 months. i would be more than happy to meet you in a parking lot and have you tell me about how much of a clue i have about this business. jack hole.

8. SaharaLandscaping

or you can come down here to me. you see where im at. look me up. i can show you where they keep the gators around here.

9. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

i saw a bunch of gators in florida the last 2 weeks fishing. I grabbed one by the tail while he was crossing the canal. Leave removal up here i am assuming is completely different then the south. So all i can tell you as others here have is figure your time to do the job with the propper commercial equipment and charge your rate to come up with a nimber.

10. SaharaLandscaping

thanks guys i really do appreciate MOST of your replies. As it turns out, the job was not as intense as she made it out to be on the phone. i went today to quote it. there was a light light layer of leaves. not even a layer. just spots. i figure ill just cut her grass as usual and rake up and collect any buildups if there is any. She liked me so much that she decided on the spot to hire me for the whole season instead of the one time service like she originally planned. i dont have the proper commercial equipment for leaf collection because im a small one man business that focused mainly on grass maintenance for the last 3 years. i have thought about getting into the fall cleanup thing to stay busy in the off season but before i can get the equipment, i have to get the money to buy it. so......My plan is to get the John Deere 910A with a 54" deck and the 3 chamber leaf collection system when i save up the money. if i made enough money i would get a yard vac but ill take it one step at a time. again thanks for the info.