1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Quoting customers in advertising?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by fiveoboy01, Jul 24, 2007.

1. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

If I want to make a flyer with something on it like "The lawn has never looked better" etc, do I need the customer's permission to use their quote? My GUESS is that if I use their name, IE first name and only the first letter of their last name then I would need permission. But I'm not sure...

How about pictures of work I have done? Do I need permission to use those too? FYI, these would be pictures that I took, so there would not be copyright issues.
  2. Mike821

Mike821 LawnSite Member

llets just say if I was the customer and you wanted to feature my job/home in your advertisement, I would be excited to see what the advertisement was going to look like. I would have a sample for the person in question so that they can either approve or disapprove. After all it is your work...but the homeowner should have a say if they would like their home put on an advertisement. Might have to offer some discount.....then again....some would be ecstatic to know that there home is going to be in an advertisement.

3. Lawn_Boy

Lawn_Boy LawnSite Member

"Better safe than sorry."
  4. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Get everything in writing. Our last TV commercial (video) featured eight employees. A year later, one of these guys quit (went to truGreen where he lasted for a few months). We got a call from his attorney telling us he wanted to sue us for airing TV ads that showed his picture. This went nowhere because he was being paid by us at the time of the filming. Protect yourself always. Get it in writing for sure.
  5. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

I use pictures I steal off the net all the time, I really couldn't care less about people's opinion on that. I've never gotten called on it but I'm a small timer..

as far as quoting people though.. I forget the lawn care website but it had a whole bunch of quotes from customers on one of the pages and I was very impressed by this. I told myself when I get a website I gotta copy this idea because I was sold.