Quoting Lawn Maint for apt complex

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rsibill, Mar 23, 2008.

1. rsibill

rsibill LawnSite Member

Curious if I am on the right track..... I review the entire property and think though amount of time needed for one visit multiply the number of weeks x # of men. Therefore 3 hours per visit x 3 men x weeks (=approx 40) = 360 man hours x $35 per man hour = $12,600.00, then I have to add pruning and leaf clean up and disposal = that part ..... any suggestions?? am I on the right track?

Thank You
    -

2. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

depending on the tenants, there is a possibility of being a lot of trash out there, if there is seniors living there it seems every spring every one wants to make thier own flower bed

3. tilawn

tilawn LawnSite Member

alos have to make sure about cleaning up kid toys all over the place. add in extra time for that.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Your on the right track...what about fertilize, irrigation, flowers, mulch, trees?

5. rsibill

rsibill LawnSite Member

THANK YOU - good points. I am covered for cleaning up dog ----, and other items prior to cut.

I am really hurting for accounts, I need to keep my guys busy until I build up again, I am planning on coming in very low on my prices - just to cover expenses, and hope that other services will make me the $. This would be my first complex - I need the commercial experience & references.

The owner is elderly and said - "I don't pay much - but I promise you will get paid fast" --- Am I totally out of my mind for just looking to to break even?
    Maybe as low as $25 per man per hour.

Thank You,
    Be safe.

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

There is no sense in "just breaking even". You can sit home on your couch and do that, or better yet, go work for someone and actually m,ake some money. Another aspect to this, is that if you try to charge $25 per man hour, you won't be breaking even...It will be costing you money.

7. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I think you should bid it at $17.50 per hour.

This way, when you get it, you can pay someone as much as $12.50 per hour and still be making $5 per hour for doing nothing.

8. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

Nothin' personal but here we go again, that's probably a complex that should go for 25K in most markets and now it's down to 12.5K . People just keep knockin' the bottom out of the market and leavin' way too much money on the table.

9. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

OK, so payroll is $12.50 an hour and you think you'll MAKE $5? DUH. What about INSURANCE, GAS for TRUCK, GAS for MOWER, pay for stuff that BREAKS, regular MAINTENANCE, trimmer line, etc. Instead of making $5, he'll be losing $15 or $20!!!!!

If you can't bid a job for PROFIT, why bid it? "To keep my guys busy" isn't a valid explanation! If you don't have enough work, lay off some guys and make a PROFIT with what you keep!

Mike

10. casey humphrey

casey humphrey LawnSite Member

i agree with Mike on this again i don't understand the 35.00 dollars per guy i pay my mach. 50-60 an hour to run them if i do not get that for my mach. than they don't work. your on the right track as far as the formula goes but remember the more you are involved in mowing the more you will profit this making 5$ dollars an hour sitting at home makes no sense to me unless you are mowing for charity.Than your going too have to charge more or lay one person off this property sounds like 26k to 30k job to me and 12k just does not cut it you have profit(not enough) and than you have business expense (to much)
    this doesn't balance out each mach. has make a profit of at least 40.00 an hour in that ball park this covers gas, insurance,taxes etc. and gas is not getting any cheaper pretty soon i am going to mount a solar panel on my scags :laugh: