1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Qwikchute Why did They Change

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joallen001, Feb 13, 2007.

1. joallen001

joallen001 LawnSite Member
    from TN

I am just curious to see if anyone ran the older qwikchute compared to the newer ones. The older ones were all metal and now they are making them plastic. I have both and have never had any problems out of the metal. Just seems like the plastic one always has some issues such as the cable stretching or the ball that locks in the adjustment wears out. The plastic just dont seal as well to me and the air from the blades tends to push the chute open. The metal was a perfect design and I now have a another new mower but I dont want to buy another one that is made out of the hard plastic..

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

I was told when I bought mine last year it was to make the replacement cost lower. The cost of the replacement panel was like 1/5th of the metal when someone screwed it up. I hit mine pretty hard last year and it did bend a little. If it had been metal...it would have been ruined.
  3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Could it have had something to do with patent infringement? Dixie Chopper holds the patent to the OCDC and may have forced them to change it.
  4. joallen001

joallen001 LawnSite Member
    from TN

I havent had one issue with the metal one but several with the plastic. Not to mention the metal one is about a year and a half older... I guess my next one I will try to build similar to the older version.
  5. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

I like my older metal one.