QXpress and PDA's

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by fshrdan, Nov 28, 2002.

1. fshrdan

fshrdan LawnSite Member

I'm wondering if anyone has experience and advice with the following:

--Palm m500 versus Handspring Visor
    --The QX Data Collector module from QXpress
    --QBMobile

I'm seriously considering going this route if we can track time and expenses better in the field. Also, I'd like to know of anyone's experience, good or bad, with QXDC. I don't necessarily need all the accounting data from QB on a PDA, So I'd like to be able to edit customer info on the PDA while still keeping data the same on the desktop after syncing. I'd appreciate any advise at all.

2. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

That was one project I didn't get to yet. I'm using QX and have a PDA. I downloaded the demo maybe but just didn't do it.

I don't understand the need to edit address info on the PDA. Isn't the job address the only thing that matters in the field? I believe you can put notes in to follow up on later.

3. fshrdan

fshrdan LawnSite Member

You're right. The address for the service is the only one I need. I have a couple of properties from Cendant Prop management where the bill goes to CT, and the route list prints up the properties with that CT address, so every week, till the crew lead got to know the route, I'd write in the address manually. So it'd be nice not to have to do that on a pda as well. As you suggested, I could put the address in the notes field.

So, HBFox, you don't see the need for a pda in the field, or you just haven't found the time to do it yet?

4. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

I need paper records for the fert/pest apps so it isn't worth it there. I'll stick to the paper route sheet.

For irrigation service we use a custom work order and a route sheet. The WO gets printed in duplicate or triplicate and the guys circle and mark off items checked and repaired and have room to write other stuff. A time clock in the truck to stamp them for the customer would be nice. Or maybe a GPS tracking system with a printed report for verification.

If I did lots of mowing/maintenance I'd do it in a heartbeat because you don't need the paper records and the record keeping would be more detailed and useful if used properly.

5. fshrdan

fshrdan LawnSite Member

Thanks for your opinion. I'm interested in the module for the maintenance route sheets. Got a great deal on Black Friday... Palm m500 for $114.00. I'll be paying more for the software than I paid for the hardware. Who knows, maybe next year I won't be on the computer at 10pm every night. Wouldn't that be nice. Thanks again, Daniel

6. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I am using a palm and qxdc with qXpress. It is a real time saver. Just hotsync at end of day and all jobs are marked done, cancelled, or scheduled for another time with a few clicks of mouse. I don't know about editing the addresses in the feild. The automation still amazes me and I am very happy to have found this software to help me in my business..:D :D :D

I did check into qbmobile but I didn't think it would do what I wanted it for.

7. Stonewall

Stonewall LawnSite Senior Member

Premo Services,

What does Qxpress do that made you purchase it over QBMobile?

Thanks.

8. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

Schedule jobs weekly, monthly or one time jobs, monthly payments for contracts, etc. Complete, cancell or postphone jobs till later date. The best part is the invoicing, you do all invoices with ease, And this is done with a few clicks of the mouse after it is set up.
    The palm piolot syncs with the computer tells you jobs to be done, you can add new data in the field with it also
    It reallly is dynamite software, and the customer service is the best. check em out
    www.alocet.com

9. Stonewall

Stonewall LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks.

10. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

This is what I use to track time on my pda. I print a sheet for each customer at the end of the year to compare side by side with the current year and then manually enter a few things to get my hourly rate. when I get to customers house I open customers sheet enter time and either an x or a time it took to do each task then enter finish time . I have been able to raise my rate from 30hr to over 60 per hour in the last 2 years. I look at patterns such as trimming shrubs they were at every 2 weeks during growing season and I reduced them to every 3-4 weeks and saved a bunch of time by writing extras such as what type of shrubs I trimmed and when I can more accurately estimate new jobs for the year because I know x shrub needs 8 trims per year and y shrub will need 14 etc.

Attached Files: