R.B. Stout is everywhere!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by snap12.5, Dec 1, 2005.

1. snap12.5

snap12.5 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Im sure that most of you in Ohio have seen those bright yellow Stout trucks driving around. They seem to mow every commercial property in my area. How are they able to aquire so many accounts???

Are they cheap, do great work, or a combination?

Stout seems to have mostly just Walker mowers. Are these so efficient for them that they can undercut everyone?

I would be interested in reading comments from anyone who has worked for them or has bid against them.
  2. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

7 walkers here. screw the whiteys... all mexican cept for curent 2 next year. big companies are smart. they dont waste time with unprofitable procedures, etc. they have people to run each division, not one trying to manage all. they know what the big picture is!
  3. JRSlawn

JRSlawn LawnSite Senior Member

R.B Stout sucks. A bunch of mexicans who they put in a single story home and give them an ex u haul truck to haul them around they underbid me on a ton of jobs and it wasnt like they won the bids by 100$ or something I am talking about a grand and I charge a fair price for our area. They do do a decent job they make up for it by tight route they are a decent company just dont like some of the things they do. If they are in the bidding wars against you just dont bid thats all I can say
  4. lawnsbyrj

lawnsbyrj LawnSite Member

these mexicans and immigrants will take your buisness over, they get a little organized and then tehy steal your accounts and you are out of buisness.
    I may be small but most residential accounts dont want a bunch of non english speaking, new crew every day mowers trampsing through their yards.
    I can find plenty of part timers that will work for the extra money and they arent gonna do their best to tear up every piece of equipment you have.
    My 2 cents
  5. Brianslawn

funny. in your state it must be different. here in redneck land only the whiteys are like that.

$60k in damages from whiteys
    $500 in damages from mexs

do you need me to make a list for iggnorant people like you??????

my customers REQUEST that no whiteys on their props! only mexs!
  6. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

thats why america is going to hell in a hand basket ....
  7. Brianslawn

"very smart you are" yoda
  8. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Never heard or seen them
  9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

No, actually I used to think that, thou it will save you time...
    As for me, yes I agree if I KNOW it's a bidding war sometimes I don't even go out there but then there are times I DO go out there and bid higher than fair (about 20-30 percent higher or so), because see, word of this spreads...

Think of it this way:
    I had a low-ball job earlier this year I bidded at 400 (stupid) and it was right down to the wire and of course, they're getting other estimates. So then I end up getting the job because GEE the other guy bidded 1,600 !!! Now the other guy's price was a bit outrageous but at the same rate, I should've bid my 600 cauz I would've got it AND don't think the fact that when I was working my tail off for 400, it did not cross my mind the entire time that I should've bid MORE!

If you bid high, word gets around and some customers can not resist but tell the low-baller just how MUCH the other guy bidded and eventually this helps drive THEIR prices up (or it should at least get them thinking this way).
  10. DeereHauler

DeereHauler LawnSite Senior Member

i can see why you think that. but a low-baller will always be a low-baller. around here the lowballers are mowing a 44 acre high school for $250.00 per cut, every year the bid goes lower. they use 5 guys, takes them 1 1/2 days. but each guys goes home with his craftsman, and 20 bucks in his pocket and they're happy. thats also why they come and go so quickly. in that same bid one LCO year after year bids $900 per cut, and maybe, just maybe, someday, he'll get that bid, but as long as there are low-ballers, i doubt it.