1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

R.i.p. Msma

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by grenskpr, Jan 31, 2009.

1. grenskpr

grenskpr LawnSite Member

Jan 16, 2009, EPA approves continued use of MSMA on Golf Courses, sod farms and right of ways until 2013, when its use and potential harms will be reevaluated.

Residential use will NOT be permited after Dec. 31, 2010.

MSMA uses in Florida, other than cotton, will cease by the end of 2010.

My friends we just lost a valuable tool.
  2. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

I've been trying to Google up more info... is CAMA or the any other arsenic herbicides also going to be restricted?

Here is what makes little sense to me... it's the farms and golf courses that use the lion's share of MSMA... with all sorts of tests indicating unacceptable levels of aresenic in the ground and even in hay... but they get to keep using it?
  3. grenskpr

grenskpr LawnSite Member

The long term outlook for MSMA other than for cotton:

"The task force strongly believes that there is growing scientific evidence that low doses of MSMA DO NOT pose a concern for human health or the enviroment. If an EPA science review in 2012 concurs with this position the task force will petition for a restoration of some or all MSMA uses."

WTF Thanks Al Gore we can kiss it good by lawn care is way down the food chain
  4. grenskpr

grenskpr LawnSite Member

the way I read it DSMA and CSMA in Florida only after 12/31/10
  5. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

Ruling on Herbicide Finalized
    URL: http://www.lawnandlandscape.com/news/news.asp?ID=7617/

On Jan. 16, the MAA Research Task Force (Task Force) signed an agreement with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), which permits the continued use of MSMA. The agreement ends use of the the herbicide ingredient in residential turf at the end of 2010. The announcement comes about two years after the second comment period ended regarding the propsosal on the regulation of MSMA. (Click here for background information.)

MSMA sale for the use on golf courses, sod farms and highway rights of way will continue until Dec. 31, 2012, with use of stocks permitted until Dec. 31, 2013. During 2012 (before the discontinuation of these uses), EPA, through one of the Agency’s external peer-review groups, will evaluate the scientific information available on any risk posed by inorganic arsenic. The use of MSMA will continue beyond 2013 should the review result in a conclusion that there is no health concern at the doses of exposure resulting from the relevant uses. EPA will also take into account additional information available on the benefits conferred by MSMA. This is particularly important due to the increased problems of weed resistance to products other than MSMA, particularly in the Southeastern United States.

The Task Force is hopeful that the reviews described above will enable EPA to extend these use patterns beyond 2013 and to declare them eligible for re-registration.

The directions for use of MSMA for these applications will be revised as follows:

Golf courses:

One broadcast application will be allowed on newly constructed courses.

Application on existing courses will be limited to spot treatment (100 squre feet per spot), not to exceed 25 percent of the total course in one year.

Sod farms:

Two broadcast applications will be allowed per crop. A 25-foot buffer strip will be required for those fields bordering permanent water bodies.

Highway rights-of-way:

Two broadcast applications will be allowed per year. A 100-foot buffer strip will be required adjacent to permanent water bodies.

Other MSMA Uses

Certain uses of MSMA will not be permitted after Dec. 31, 2010 (sale of MSMA for these uses will stop on Dec. 31, 2009). Those uses are:

Residential turf
    Non-bearing fruit and nuts
    Citrus, bearing and non-bearing
    Drainage ditch banks, railroad, pipeline, and utility rights of way, fence rows, storage yards and similar non-crop areas
    Bluegrass, fescue and ryegrass grown for seed (this use may be continued till 2013).
    MSMA uses in Florida, other than for cotton, will cease and registrants will delete the uses of the related products DSMA, CAMA and DMA (cacodylic acid and its sodium salt), by end of 2010.

The Long Term Outlook for Uses of MSMA Other than Cotton:

The Task Force strongly believes that there is growing scientific evidence that low doses of inorganic arsenic do not pose a concern to human health or to the environment. If an EPA science review, to convene in 2012, concurs with this position, then inorganic arsenic resulting from uses of MSMA will not pose a concern, and the Task Force will petition for restoration of some or all of MSMA uses.
  6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Florida has become very Green over the last few years, passing all kinds of laws effecting Lawn Care. Water quality and sport fishing seem to the main concern. Florida has also bought out US Sugar's land in the Everglades with plans to turn it back into prehistoric land. Plans to close canals in the Everglades is also part of that. The Ag lobby as well as Golf course have kept them exempt from these new laws so far. One of the main problems here is local ordnances that have no scientific bases are being passed. I am afraid this is only the tip of the iceberg of things to come. The liberal party now in power is very much tree huggers and currently politically correct.
  7. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

that sucks, they better some out with a real alternative by then, quinclorac is good, but no t that good. sufentrazone is good, but not that good. i use Q4 and do get good results, but sometimes msma is needed and when the temps are right, it just smokes crab and nutsedge, they dont have a chance of comeing back after one app.
  8. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

there was an articule in the TURFF mag, a few months ago about this,

Or was that last year ?

Damn time gets away from me...... Must be the MSMA
  9. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Thanks for the detailed update Whitey. I just got done with Arkansas Turfgrass classes where Dr. John Boyd of the U of A Turfgrass Dept gave us an update on MSMA. I had the understanding that we all had use of it through the end of 2012. I either misunderstood or his explanation was not complete. We will be in a world of sh-t without the use of MSMA for Dallisgrass. There is something else(selective weed control) for almost every other grassy weed. When MSMA is gone our only option will be Glyphos. Not a real good option. Oh...he did say use of Revolver offered 65% control with 2-3 apps. For the most part, we're Forked!
  10. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

I mentioned on this forum last summer that MSMA was on the EPA's short list because of its arsenic content, and people (especially from the South) came on here and attacked me from all angles, telling me I was wrong. :confused: Oh well........

Yeah....maybe Revolver's gonna have to take the lead for now. I'm not 100% sure.

What I would suggest to you folks to do is to get in touch with your regional chemical reps and tell them your specific concerns .............in writing.
    Get REAL specific about what types of weeds you're worried about controlling in your future business operations with the eventual departure of MSMA.
    Write regional representatives at herbicide-producing companies like PBI Gordon, Bayer, Riverdale/Nufarm, Dow, etc...

Alot of green industry folks automatically "assume" there's an army of chemical engineers out there at chemical company X Y and/or Z trying to break the molecular code of each and every weed, alien to America or not.

Truth is...our industry is just a FRACTION of the total clientele of most of these chemical companies, and other industry's reps are out there lobbying and calling on these chemical companies for THEIR needs, too! (particularly...in medicine, as you could imagine!)

Just like in "Who Ville"....If you begin to make your voices heard en masse, you'll indeed begin to be heard.