R new guys scared of lawnsite?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fga, Feb 20, 2005.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

often, you see a new guy, posting for the first time, and he's defensive off the bat, having been browseing the site for some time, and finally gaining the "courage" to post. we look like "wolves"...
    they'll be alot coming soon with the pending season.
    just my opinion, but alittle paitience can help this site out alot.

2. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

perhaps, but I was new last year and I wasn't scared. I did soe research and at least new what kind of grass we have in my area. I knew that spraying round up in the lake was a bad idea. I knew that asking for help bidding on 50 acres with a 21" trim mower and a 42" craftsman yard tractor was a bad idea.

Some of the new people get jumped on cause they deserve it.

But I do agree some of us should cut the newbies a little slack. Perhaps just shaking some sense into them as opposed to firing away with the bazooka.

3. MacPhersonlawn

MacPhersonlawn LawnSite Member

I have been a member for only a couple of months but I'm still a little reluctant to ask a question here. I have seen so many new guys get put down just because they own a craftsman rider or are having trouble pricing a job. Yes, putting round up in the water is not a good thing to do but people here can make that point to the new guy without all the nasty comments.

4. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

Might help if the new guys would refrain from smart ass responses if they are asked if they are licensed and insured. Seems like if you try to get additional information from some of them so you can make a more informed reply, they get a real attitude. JMO

5. moremowing4me

moremowing4me LawnSite Member
    from S.C.

I am fairly new to the site and I understand that some of the older guys are saying things that are based on their own experiences which may or may not pertain to me being as they might be from a different area or have a different set of circumstances. I guess the older ones and the newer ones should just be aware of this.

6. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

yes all you have to do is say your from florida and tell the northern guys what you charge , and they all jump on ya ,ha ha its ok i grew up on long island at the end of the week we both have the same cash in the pocket .

7. fga

:) Florida IS the one exception. if you read the fine print in the Lawnsite terms, Floridians are clearly stated as being nutty. technically, i should be typing in capitals so you can see it, but i just forget who i'm speaking with. there must be something in the beautiful clear waters.. maybe too much chlorine in the gene pool.. i don't know. :D

8. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

there is no such thing as too much chlorine in the gene pool.

Perhaps a little more and some algeacide would kill of some of the scrubs.

9. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Yes a little tolerence is needed by all but that will never change. Sure I am what you may call an "old timer" but the bashing has always been here. It is just more noticable because there are many more people here.

Its hard to police that and I have to say that at one time or another I have asked stupid questions and I have also took part in a little digital tail whooping on others. This time of the year is the worst for bashing. We all have lots of pent up energy and no where to put it. I certainly don't consider a person that has 1 post a noob in the business as many accomplished operators are just watching and not saying a thing.
    Sure some of the "what mower should I buy" questions are old hat but some people really need a hand. For the most part I just read the posts and don't respond.
    Many new people here do not realize that 5 years ago there were only about 100 of us in this site. 6 years ago you would be hard pressed to find a forum to discuss lawn care. It is nice that we have so many people interested in what we do. I personally would like to hear from more of them.

10. fga

better words then i ... but my point exactly.