rabbit surcharge??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Mar 28, 2006.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

ok, before you bash me, read carefully what i'm typing. you ever see those giant santa claus things that people put up in thier front yards at christmas? they are like, giant blow up dolls? ok, well those don't bother me. i don't cut grass during that time of year. but those dolls, they come in rabbit form now. so, a customer called yesterday, to apologize for paying her bill so close to the due date (due date 4/1/06). i said no problem, and that we will be by tommorow (meaning tuesday) for a cleanup. i told her to have anything she didn't want cut up, out of the lawn. she said ok. well, we arrive today, and there is this huge blow up easter bunny on the lawn. all staked to the ground, but not yet blown up. i tried working around it, but it was a hassle. i pulled the stakes out of the ground, the ropes were all knotted up, and tossed the rabbit aside so i could work. did the trimming, cleanup, etc. when we were done, i left all the stakes, ropes, and rabbit in a pile, in the spot where i found it. she comes out, "aren't u gonna put it back together?" i replied, "no, sorry, i just don't have the time." and drove off. i mean, come on, i told her yesterday to have the lawn free of obsticles. i've never set one of these rabbits up. it probly would have taken 10 minutes. i was gonna do it, and charge a rabbit surcharge, but decided against it. what would u have done?

2. scagwildcat

scagwildcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from nw. ct.

its simple, dont mow near it, when they call and say that the grass is tall, tell them to move the rabbit!!! i dont move anything, thats not part of the mowing price, if there are toys, lawn chairs not my problem, i mow around them, if its a case of they simply forgot to move them i will move it, but if i pull up every week to find kids toys and lawn chairs on the lawn in the same spot every week, i mow around it !!!

3. alwaysgreener

alwaysgreener LawnSite Member

;) Ok ...the time it took you to type that long note you could of used your time to set the thing back up and all would of been fine... so what is your point???? Take stuff down and just leave it..and come Lawnsite and complain about it????

4. PGA

PGA LawnSite Senior Member

Agreed.

Just go around it.

5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

well, this was a big problem. i was mowing, cleaning leaves, and trimming shrubbery. the rabbit also had an extension cord running from the window, thru the bushes, and plugged into the rabbit. i needed to unplug it, to trim....i said screw it, the rabbit goes, or i go

6. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I feel certain that I could have some how managed to deal with it without making it a federal issue....like in 30 seconds, max. I'd have skipped the bunny and the next time there after the bunny is gone, deal with that area.

no wait--instead of thirty seconds...it only took 15 seconds.......

GEO

7. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

i build the time necessary into my estimates to move obstacles. usually i can push them with my ztr and never get off. about the only thing i won't move is trampolines due to the liability potential. i don't tell the people i have added the time to the estimate, if the stuff is moved when i get there, all well and good. if not, appears to be good customer service. unreasonable stuff (motorcycles, swingsets, ect) stay where they are, but otherwise, make them think you care about their business, doesn't seem to hurt when referral time comes.:drinkup:

8. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would have done the same thing that I do with all that crap people put in their yards.......Cut Around It! :rolleyes:

9. OnMyOwn

OnMyOwn LawnSite Senior Member

I would have spent (10) minutes putting the rabbit back in place, instead of (15) minutes typing a thread about what you should have done. Why are you so paranoid that clients are trying to take advantage of you?

10. PGA

PGA LawnSite Senior Member

Why did you have to unplug it? Did you need to plug your trimmer in?