Rabbits on the loose

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Kingbman1, May 20, 2004.

1. Kingbman1

Kingbman1 LawnSite Member

Yesterday i was mowing with a 21incher and I ran over 3 baby rabbits in three different spots. I counted 7 babies spread out all over the yard, luckily only 3 were ran over. There seems to be a lot of bunnies this year. Anyone else notice this ?

2. BOSS MAN

BOSS MAN LawnSite Member

If we had a dollar for every rabbit and frog we ran over each day we'd be rich!!! Out of the ten crews I run, almost every day at least four out of the ten manage to run over a frog or a rabbit. Poor little things just sit there. The worst was when we sent a crew to mow a cellular tower sight. The grass was completely out of control and we bid on a couple of their towers and won. One of my employees managed to run over a fawn with a 72'' Dixie!!! About the only thing left was fur!! The poor little thing just layed there in the grass and didn't move. Sad story but hey what can you do?

3. Burger

Burger LawnSite Member
    from Montana

fawns are 1) Very hard to see in their natural habitat for a reason 2) Lay down when in danger.

4. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

my boss took the shell off from a turtle a few days ago

5. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I have not hit any, but I've seen plenty this season. I think there are more than normal this year.

6. turfcare

turfcare LawnSite Senior Member

I have one account where I see the same rabbit everytime I go. He always jumps out of the way though.

7. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

same here........we mow a home out in the middle of a corn field. Lots of little scrubs around the house. Rabbit always runs around

8. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

I hit a baby rabbit and a baby squirle that fell out of its nest. I feel so bad, What a horrible death. The other day I was mowing my neighbors lawn for him ( he had to leave town cause his daughter is on her deathbed) and I see a bald spot in the lawn with what looks like a bunch of dead grass. I go to blow the dead grass and realize its a nest. I take the top off, and there are 4 little set of ears just bopping up and down ahhh how cute.

9. turfcare

turfcare LawnSite Senior Member

I read this post and posted on it yesterday. Just so figures while mowing yesterday evening I am going around a tree on a lake lot I mow and out jumps a four foot black snake in front of me and stands his ground in front of my Toro 62". I stopped, he looked at me, I look at him, then he slowly moved to the next tree. I could have taken him on, but I let him live to see another ZTR.

10. firekilr2

firekilr2 LawnSite Member

If you want to make up for running over these little rabbits here is a way to save a few. I have rescued 3 baby bunnies out of window wells. Look in these sometimes they jump in and cant get out. Also put a baby ground hog back in the field that had wondered out in the road, cute little bugger. He climbed right into my scoop shovel just like he trusted me. Just thought I would ad some good news to the post. I know about baby bunnies they cry like human babies, sends a chill up your spine. Thanks for reading this useless post.