Rabbits with lawn mower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SoloSulkySurfer, Apr 19, 2007.

1. SoloSulkySurfer

SoloSulkySurfer LawnSite Member

How many baby rabbits do you guys hit a year with your mowers. The little guys sure are good at hiding until its to late. Last year I ran over 2 nests and 4 baby bunnies.:cry: Luckily the customers werent home. The year before I was helping a friend with his accounts and hit one with a line trimmer which threw the poor wounded rabbit ten feet. The customer happened to see it and came running out of the house. I felt bad but had no idea it was there.(coming from a life long hunter that has rabbit hunted)

2. mc24034

mc24034 LawnSite Member

I hadnt hit any rabbits in the last 3 years and I was mowing a property the other day and all at once 3 baby rabbits shot out the discharge. It was absolutely gross.... but what can you do. THats all i got.

3. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

don't run into that probem here in tampa,at least i haven't

4. Travis E

Travis E LawnSite Bronze Member

I was mowing at my neighbors the other day and a baby one was infront so i scared it off..I will usually hit them at my house if I have the chance because we have a problem with them eating our shrubs...but since the neighbor had young kids, I did not hit it.

5. Pastaboy62

Pastaboy62 LawnSite Senior Member

Last year I was a couple feet from running over a nest but I found it in time. Thank God, there was about four baby rabbits there and I didn't want to see them coming out of the discharge chute.

6. Mark in MD

Mark in MD LawnSite Senior Member

So far I haven't hit any. A few times, they have come running out, but somehow they missed the blades.