rabbits

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by weekendDIY, Aug 25, 2005.

1. weekendDIY

weekendDIY LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I used to like the rabbits that I saw running around the backyard but not anymore.

The other day one of them thought it would be a great idea to dig a hole in the middle of my yard. I filled in and I think that only made the rabbit mad because 2 days later he dug a bigger hole in the same place and made a huge mess in the process. How can I stop the rabbit from digging in that spot?

I wouldn't normally care if it was off to the side but it is directly in the middle and I don't need my 2 year son getting his foot caught and getting hurt

Thanks

2. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Go to the barber shop and get a bunch of clippings and spread them around the yard. The human scent from the hair will repel them for a right good while. When they come back, apply some more hair clippings.

3. snmhanson

snmhanson LawnSite Member

Or you could do what I did - hook up the box blade to the tractor to level an area and take out their entire burrow in the process, including the four baby rabbits that couldn't have been more than a couple weeks old :cry: . Actually the mom wasn't even there when I did it and I always feel bad now when I see her running around our yard so I just leave her alone and let her do pretty much whatever she wants. So nevermind, I don't have any good advice on the subject...

Matt

4. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

I thank they make some pellets that you can spread around the yard that they do not like. I am not sure if I want to mess with some people I do not knows hair. Just does not seem right to me.

5. Smalltimer1

Put it in a trash bag.....then put gloves on and walk around the yard and throw it around the edges of the yard and then in the area that they became a pest (i.e.: the holes). No hazard of lice or anything, if the barber is good, he'll use a good disinfectant on the clippers between customers. My grandfather's been a barber since 1949, he's still doing it today at 82 years old, he taught me that trick, it works great for deer too.

6. Jayhox

Jayhox LawnSite Member

We used Blood Meal for our garden, and it worked great. Better than the other repellents out there. I was almost ready to resort to Napalm but fortunately this worked.

I'll have to remember the hair trick. That sounds like it would work well (until the wind blew). Thanks.

Grant

7. weekendDIY

weekendDIY LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I tried the hair, (my own, I didn't want to do the barber shop thing) and it didn't work. They came right back. I read on another site that only works with Male rabbits only for some reason.

I will try the Blood Meal and see what happens.

Thanks for the info

8. Smalltimer1

The rabbit might be accustomed to your scent??? I've used that trick for a right good while here and they never came back. Are you sure you put out enough? I'm talking like get the trash can from the barber shop and empty it into a trash bag and then put heavy patches of it all over the yard. A little here and there won't be enough for them to pick the scent up.

At one time though, some parts of the yard were a little high and I hit a few rabbits with the mower, the scent of their own blood might also scare them away.

9. BarnOwl

BarnOwl LawnSite Member

Get a few Jack Russels, rabbits won't have a chance.........

10. cochino12

cochino12 LawnSite Senior Member

Can I put the blood meal on the grass? Damn things are screwing up my nice lawn!