Racing lawn mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scagboy227, Aug 12, 2005.

1. scagboy227

scagboy227 LawnSite Member

So i have decided in my spare time which will be this winter I am going to take my old snapper rear engine rider and make a racing lawnmower out of it.
    Just for the heck of it im going to make it the most hiddious thing anyone has ever made!

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I was going to do that this last spring but never found the time. I have an old Dynamark mower that i want to turn into one. They go fast!

3. Gizmo_019

Gizmo_019 LawnSite Member

I was going to do this to my Crapsman when I got something new, but I found it wouldn't make a good one so it will just be the backup for the backup mower. I couldn't do that to my Snapper because it still runs and cuts too good :rolleyes:

4. mcwlandscaping

My Dynamark i got for free with the deck removed. it had rotted after MANY years of cutting!

5. Howie's Lawn Care

Howie's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

How do you make a racing mower out of it? What do you adjust to increase ground speeds?

6. mcwlandscaping

You need to make the engine do that the majority of the power is gong to the wheels instead of the trany. I am not sure exactly how to do it though. The easiest way it to just stick an old horizontal shaft in there and set it up like a go kart, this setup does not requre a trany so it is easier. That is what i am going to do. Do a google search, i found a lot of info that way.

7. scagboy227

scagboy227 LawnSite Member

yeah this should turn out very nice

8. mcwlandscaping

Post some pics of the mower you are starting with. Also, you can do a killer paint job with some different colored spray paint and masking tape, i did it on the hood of mine! Post pics!

9. Gizmo_019

Gizmo_019 LawnSite Member

On the Crapsman, if I were going to do it, I was going to changer the pulleys to spockets and get some real strong chain. The sprocket on the motor would be about 6" or so in diameter and the one on the axle would be around 3" diameter. That is how I was planning to increase ground speed, plus a motor rebuild and straight pipes.

10. petekief

petekief LawnSite Senior Member

This would be a fun forum - racing mowers - i think everyone would get a kick out of it - they make some kind of special differential just for them i think - i saw it on the discovery channel or something - who should we talk to about creating a new foum???