Racoon problems

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by CCF16, Aug 28, 2011.

1. CCF16

CCF16 LawnSite Member

Anyone having problems with racoons these days and what do you think it is.
    I have about five lawns that are been torn apart by them, no grubs to be found, still a little early for that problem. I am suspecting leather jackects

2. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

I had a problem with "Coons" revenging apple trees. It's already been a lean year for apples. I took care of them with a 30-30 with a scope. Too many people feeding wild animals attracting them to homes. Sure, they're cute but too many carry rabies. What you have could be skunks rather than raccoons. Squirrels also dig turf.

3. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

a picture would be great, something is digging for some reason, lets figure it out

4. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

Posted via Mobile Device

5. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

Small triangular holes with the dirt all thrown
    on one side would be skunks.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

small triangular holes is squirrels... skunks root around like pigs...

7. ICT Bill

it could be cicada killers digging as well. They are very large wasps that dig a hole and lay an egg, they then go grab a cicada and kill it and leave it in the hole for the larvae to eat

if you have never seen a cicada killer actually kill a cicada it is absolutely wild

8. ecoguy

ecoguy LawnSite Member
    from Duncan

Weird. I was just about to ask the same question. I just recently sodded a new lawn on top of 3-4 inches of compost rich soil and it looks amazing. They haven't watered in 2 weeks and we're still cutting it twice a week.

Anyways, every morning the customer wakes up, about 6-8 pieces of sod on the outer edges have been folded over. They are certain it is raccoons although there hasn't been any tearing of the sod, almost like a person is doing it. There is NO sign of grubs but the fertile soil is loaded with worms so I think the coons are going after that. I know that once they find a easy place for supper they will return again and again.

I've thought about installing a snow fence around the disturbed areas to try and keep them out. The customer has been putting hot sauce on the grass (she read somewhere that it might work). Any suggestions?

9. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

You need traps. And a professional to do the work--as you need to be licensed in vertebrate pest control.
    Don't leave garbage and dogfood around.

10. ICT Bill

grubs could have been in the sod, just a wild guess
    coons have great noses

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011