Radial or Bias ply tires- which to use?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jusmowin, Feb 10, 2003.

1. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

Well Its time for a new set of tires for my 6x12 single axle trailer. I was wondering about which tire is best to use radial or bias ply. Which ever type tire I get I need them to be at least a load range of C or better, but have heard that radial tires make a trailer wonder. Can someone please help me with this as I dont want my trailer to wonder all over, Im a little funny about things like that!:D BTW...Is there a supplier on line that sells trailer tires or is it best to buy local? THANKS

2. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

i have never heard of radials making a trailer "wonder". Radial just last longer, hence they cost more.

3. Mowing Freak

Mowing Freak LawnSite Senior Member
    from S.E. Ks

I had the same problem when it came time to replace my tires. The tires that came on the trailer were radial. I talked with my tire dealer and he advised getting the bias tires that are made for trailers, like the ones you see on campers. After a few minutes thinking about it, I went with the bias. Glad I did. The trailer seems to turn easier and not as much strain as with the radials.

4. Mowing Freak

Mowing Freak LawnSite Senior Member
    from S.E. Ks

I had the same problem when it came time to replace my tires. The tires that came on the trailer were radial. I talked with my tire dealer and he advised getting the bias tires that are made for trailers, like the ones you see on campers. After a few minutes thinking about it, I went with the bias. Glad I did. The trailer seems to turn easier and not as much strain as with the radials.

5. Jusmowin

Thank for the replies everyone, although I think I found a good set for a really good price......bias ply that is !

6. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Mine also had radials. When they needed replacing, I got bias -ply's. They seem to wear alot better than the original radials.

7. Jusmowin

Thanks BOB I think thats what im gonna get but in a load range C this time!

8. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I have seen my trailer wandering bad as I was going down the highway. :eek: :eek: Also didn't handle as good as it does with the bias tires now!!!

Mine had radials on it and I went with bias ply tires, rated at the weight it will carry. It has made a big difference. You will be happy getting the bias tires.:D :cool: :p[

9. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been trailer shopping for the past few weeks this winter & all the enclosed trailers ive looked at have had radials. One of our open trailers is gonna need 4 new tires in the spring & we're gonna try out the radails for a change. Just our .02