radio ads

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mrkosar, Feb 19, 2009.

1. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

anyone try these? i'm looking at around $110 per 30 second spot. wondering those who have used it, was it worth the money? did you offer a deal? how spots did you do? suggestions, advices, pros/cons...?

2. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Our best bet was television. Radio signals reach hundreds of miles (out of your area?), but they charge for this. We tried radio in the past (not the big radio station (WHO - Ronald Reagan's station) here cuz their air time costs the same as TV. If your market is within a fifty mile radius, I recommend TV cuz it covers the area you service. My 2 cents worth.

=mrkosar;2783714]anyone try these? i'm looking at around $110 per 30 second spot. wondering those who have used it, was it worth the money? did you offer a deal? how spots did you do? suggestions, advices, pros/cons...?[/QUOTE]

3. tlg

tlg LawnSite Senior Member

We tried radio a few years back. Not a real good response for the money. We track all our leads so I'm sure on that. I think we missed our target customer ( 40 years +) by being on a music station. We needed to be on a news or talk radio station, I think, to get the results we wanted. The experts said go with the larger listening audience. They were wrong. Go with the station you think your customers are listening to.

4. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

mrkosar,

Don't know about you and the others...but typically when I listen to the radio I am either drivig or working in the shop and typically don't even hear it really.

I think most people are more visiual (or atleast I am) if that helps! I have never bought anything from a radio commerical...but I can see where TV would work.

BTW...we better grab some lunch pretty soon as spring is coming with a vegence!!!! When are you planning on getting started?

5. nickroqs

nickroqs LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Even if I was in the market for a new landscaper, and your ad happened to be on, I wouldn't really think about copying down the number/info while I was driving. I like to stick to print ads.

6. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

maybe later next week. let me know how your schedule looks.

7. grassguy_

grassguy_ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Mrkosar,
    Have used radio before, and unless you do market saturation with repeated play times and drive times included, its very marginal and especially in major markets where stations are hammering the airwaves. With the diversification of music and talk radio being so splintered, i doubt its effectiveness as naywhere near what it used to be. IMHO

8. foreplease

foreplease LawnSite Bronze Member

I spent tens of thousands of dollars on radio ads over a ten year period in a former retail business and would not consider buying any radio ads for this industry. I cannot tell you what will work best for you in your area but feel safe in saying radio will not work affordably.

9. Rayholio

Rayholio LawnSite Bronze Member

Waste of money.

10. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Direct mail works best and yes it costs big bucks!