1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Radio Advertising worth it?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Drivefaster35, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Drivefaster35

Drivefaster35 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I was approached last night from a local channel network about advertising on the radio. I'm very interested because only one local guy has ever done this a long time ago but him and I dont get a long very well "low baller" so it's not exactly like I can ask him how it worked for him. I live in a city with about 30,000 people and another city of about 15,000 just south which I'm willing to go to. Th radio would reach all these areas and then some but I just don't know i'f I will get the results I should for the amount of investment it will take anybody have any ideas or suggestions? :usflag:
  2. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Why not set up a week end call in garden show.
  3. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Dont waste your money on radio, there are other less costly ways to advertise that are much, MUCH better. Newspaper, Yellow Pages, Flyers are just some of them. I have done radio years ago and boy was it a waste of hard earned $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
  4. probe1957

probe1957 LawnSite Member

The fact that only one other guy has ever tried it would tell me all I need to know.
  5. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Radio is okay for retail... However for LCOs and landscapers bad idea.
  6. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

There was a landscaping company here that advertised on one station (selling landscaping projects, not mowing). Their campaign sounded persuasive and lasted a long time. Then the station format changed and I have heard no other advertising like it since. I had the impression the campaign was working for them, because of its duration, and it was smartly done.
  7. Mean Green Lawns

Mean Green Lawns Banned

I have thought about getting on the radio as well here in metro detroit. I figured it would be good for name recognition so when they get a flyer they have heard of me already

lol my song...

If you want the job done right
    you can call us untill 9 at night
    we do irrigation, areation landscape design...
    we sod, we seed, we keep your gutters clean...
    cause were mean green lawns and landscaping
    mean green lawns and landscaping... .
  8. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I would do it on talk radio if I were you. I would think they would be more of your target audience.
  9. gqnine44

gqnine44 LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, for commercial work. For residential you need to reach babes - think FM.