Radio anyone?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by grassguy_, Jan 28, 2004.

1. grassguy_

grassguy_ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Have any of you utilized radio for advertisement? Was it effective at getting calls or a waste?

2. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

No calls at all from Radio. Dont waste your $$

Jim

3. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

radio, yellow pages, newspaper, billboards, signs on your truck, shirts and so on are ALL effective in MARKETING your company!

marketing means to create a public awareness about your company!

you may or may not know HOW a person found you as you grow your business.

but one thing is for sure IF you never market your company,,,,it will be very difficult to create sales!

if you are looking for the CHEAPEST costing marketing program,,,,that would be YOU on your off time knocking on doors,,,,great marketing program and it is easy to turn the marketing program in to a sales meeting because you are standing right in front of the purchaser!

establish a BUDGET for marketing and that will determine what you can do! If you have NO budget for marketing? start knocking!:)

4. grassguy_

from Ohio

I agree and have had a budget that I usually set for the marketing end, but within that marketing budget you need to spend it wisely and tailor it to the mediums that work best, thus that's the point in this thread. Could someone expect a return on radio ads as they would for door hangers, telemarketing, TV, billboard, etc. Does radio work as well in dollars spent as other mediums or is it bunk? Just wondering.

5. Norm Al

grassguy it is relative to your budget! radio is one of the CHEAPEST forms of marketing to contact a large group of people quickly!

some people will say its NOT good but if you compare the dollars spent verses the return from radio,,,,to all of those you just listed you will find radio will do you a good job for the buck. there is a reason so many people advertise on the radio!

if you run your ad at midnight on a country station that 3 people listen to then you might not get to much return,,,,,,if you leave door hangers at the run down trailor park you might not get to much return either!

establish your budget and then start throwing crap against the wall,,,,you will have to see what crap sticks in your community, then keep throwin that same crap because you will know what works for you!

6. grassguy_

from Ohio

Myquestion is not whether it's relative to the marketing budget, just whether it's as effective as other avenues others have used to market with. I have plans to use radio but am looking at the feedback others have gotten for their investment dollars. It could be the cheapest way to market to the masses but for effectiveness, the jury may still be out. I was just checking with others who have used it to see how they felt it was worth the investment. Thanks for the input!

7. Mac V2.0

Mac V2.0 LawnSite Member
    from Mid OH

Norm, i have to admit you are the most commical member ive seen in the last 2 years and i love it!

Grassguy, think of how large an audience the radio contacts...are you ready to travel that far just to do work? Radio may be a good idea for those who can dedicate a crew or two to a particular area, but for a small operation it doesnt look very attractive.

8. grassguy_

from Ohio

MacV.2
    I have matched demographics and reach for the stations which i'll advertise on, that's a definite. Don't need to be doing lawns in east lower Siberia. Most FM formats have a larger local reach but AM seems to fit both demographic and reach, plus seem to be the more adult oriented formats.
    Norm al,
    Loves those penguins! LMAO

9. Norm Al

its all good grassguy!:)

im speaking from experiance,,,i have advertised on the radio and picked up good spray work and lawn maintenance work.

i advertised on a talk AM station during a local sod guys hour,,,,his format was to answer peoples questions about turf,,,,so i figured that was a perfect time for advertising my thing! and it worked good. for a couple hundred dollars a month i picked up thousands of dollars worth of work with little to no effort! they made the spot and i had to go on the sales calls!

BUT i didnt just throw an ad in between george strait and tanya tucker!:)

10. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi GrassGuy,

If you are interested, this is a great post that may shed light on different marketing ideas.

Marketing Flops