Radio Communication With Crews

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Enzo, May 19, 2008.

1. Enzo

Enzo LawnSite Member

How do you guys communicate between diffrent crews. I know their are cell phones and nextels but isnt there something esle I could do. I am looking to keep growing my company, but I also need to stay in touch with the other crew when we are out. I also need this more in the winter than now. I know I can head over to Dicks or Sports Authority and pick up some two way radios but is there anything more efficient. I dont care if I got to mount antennas on my house and trucks eithers. If anyone has ideas where I can buy this stuff let me know.

2. grshppr

grshppr LawnSite Senior Member

We have been using VHF radios for years. I have a base station in the office and every truck has a radio as well so we are always able to be in contact with each other. Works great for snowplowing. The cost here in BC is a $100 or so fee for the channel reservation. Our work radius is no more than 15 km from home, and we dont have the need for a repeater. If you have a wide area you work in, a repeater would give you great coverage.
  3. Enzo

Enzo LawnSite Member

I see, who sells VHF radios mobile units and a base station? I know there is Motorolla, but are there any others? Also where would you buy them?