radios in equipment

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by westcoh, Nov 19, 2008.

1. westcoh

westcoh LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alberta

I'm looking to install a radio in my skid-steer and I'm just tryin to figure out the best way to do it. Anyone here have pics of how they have theirs set-up? What do you find works the best, speakers in the cab or just headphones? And any suggestions on what a good brand as far as durability goes would be helpful.

2. ccstrebe

ccstrebe LawnSite Senior Member

3. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

I just use a portable XM and headphones. I always get reception unless i'm in a parking garage and the music channels have no commercials.

4. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

Our Bobcat dealer sells those Jensen radios, the same one ccstrebe has, for skidsteers, and excavators, there not all that expensive. But a radio gets boring after a while I think I would go with the XM or sirius radio..

5. westcoh

westcoh LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alberta

I do like the satellite radio idea, as I already have it in my truck. Anyone know if it's possible to get another radio without having to pay for another subscription?

6. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

I know of a guy that has one, its sirius radio, but his is portable, he drives truck, so he can just switch it out between his trucks, he just stuck the antenna on the roof like a little CB radio antenna and then plugged it into the cigarette lighter. I believe thats how it worked, I havent been in his truck in a while...

7. amscapes03

amscapes03 LawnSite Senior Member

Is your radio built into the dash, or portable? Each individual radio has it's own ID which is assigned an account number. If yours is portable you'll only need to get a docking kit.

8. doubleedge

doubleedge LawnSite Senior Member
    from ND

I think it only costs a few dollars a month extra for each additional radio that you get.

9. Stick Pro

Stick Pro LawnSite Senior Member

i have a serious reciever in my 287b and when i drive my truck all i do is take the reciever out of the car dock and put it in my truck that way i dont have to pay for two recievers

10. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

If you have Sirius check the website to see if there is any deals. I have the model that came with a antenee for the truck and one for the house. I rarely use the receiver in the house but its always in my truck. At work I tune the radio into 88.1 in the office and listen to channel 61.

Your still going to need a radio of some sort in the skid steer unless you get a portable player.

Off to radio shack or cambodian tire to pick up a decent radio. Build a mounting box out of aluminum or steel. Bolt the mounting box to a convenient area.

What the guys in the gravel mines do is have a Sirius reciever and a antnee and move it to what ever machine they are running that day. Most wheel loaders or ADTs have radios. Tune the radio to 88.1 and listen to the sat radio.