Radius adjustment on the "old" Toro 300 Series MultiStream?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by AceSprinkleRx, Jul 18, 2005.

1. AceSprinkleRx

AceSprinkleRx LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

I replaced two of the old Toro 300's with the newer 340's on my current job. Now the customer wants me to "shorten" the distance of the radius on one of his other 300's (Like down to 8'!). The nozzle cap is already turned down tight, would tilting the body be a quick fix? His system wasn't very well designed to begin with. The stream actually passes through his neighbors chain link fencing which is only about 8' from the head placed next to his house foundation.

The Toro site does have an interactive manual on adjustments, etc., but the older 300's like the ones I'm looking at aren't shown. There is no "cap" to lift off to get to a radius adjustment. How do you reduce the radius on these, or can you?

~

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

If I remember right you use smaller nozzles...but I avoid streamrotors.

3. AceSprinkleRx

from Wyoming

EDIT: There isn't a lock cap on top of the nozzle, nor is there any indications of adjustability like +/-.

~

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Try to get 01 nozzles. They don't adjust, but its lower-angle throw is well under 20 feet, and if you can tilt the head towards the fence, you'll get some distance reduction in that direction. The fact that the old 300's had no adjustments was both blessing and curse. Extra work during an install, but no adjustments to ever go out of whack. Putting stream rotors in an eight-foot strip is kind of odd. If you could talk the homeowner into the extra work, you could add more smaller heads in the area, like eight-foot radius mist heads, maybe, both near the house, and at the borderline opposite.

5. AceSprinkleRx

from Wyoming

Originaly I worked on Zone 1, then 7, then when I thought I was finally done... he took me to Zone 2 and said they also needed adjusting. Zone 2 had five 300's on a 3/4" lateral. The zone wrapped around the front corner of the house, so there were 300's actually facing each other only 8' apart!

One of the 300's on the end of the zone only had a 90* disc in it. So I ended up replacing it with a 180* disc robbed from the old 300 I replaced with a newer 340. At least this allowed water to reach down into the dry areas of the narrow strip. Certainly not the best fix, but it was all we had at the time.

We discussed how the 300/340 Multi's are for larger turf areas, and couldn't figure out why the installer way back then put these in there. Now if I were to go back and change out the heads in the narrow part of the zone to spray heads, it wouldn't be right to leave the multi's on in front of the house on teh same zone then would it? According to everything I've read and studied you shouldn't mix heads. Does this hold true for spray/multi's?

Oh yeah, even with being the "new guy" around here and I do appreciate everything I've learned here, count me in with the :gunsfirin I hate Toro heads crowd. :D

~

6. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Split it into two zones. Sounds to me (5 heads on 3/4"!!!) that once you change to sprays your going to have pretty underwelming pressure.

7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Actually, you could mix mist heads with Toro 300's with 03 or Omni nozzles, especially if the heads or nozzles have pressure regulation (Rainbird) or nozzles with built-in flow restrictors (Toro) A half-circle 8-foot radius nozzle uses about 1/2 gpm.

Don't waste too much effort hating Toro. There's more to come. Wait until you see a Toro hydraulic controller! :p

8. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

ROFLMAO, what's wrong w/ a custom or freestyle hydraulic controller? Its the hydraulic valves you can't find that deserve cussing. :)

9. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, and then have to replace that spider in the back, and you have a NC and the supplyhouse sends you a NO or PT spider and the damn holes don't match.

Or the gophers chewed through the tubing, giving themselves indoor plumbing, and the ground has enough sand that the leak never shows on the surface.

I am going to look into one of those high dollar metal detectors and see if they can find the stainless band on those hyd. valves. Not buy, but rent one to see.

Jerry

10. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

If he wants the stream rotors, maybe consider putting in the Nelson MP rotators. They adjust down to 8'.

Jon, those Toro heads can be 2.0 gpm heads so 5 would be 10.0 gpm @ under 5 fps velocity.

Jerry