Radius paver cuts

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by STL Ponds and Waterfalls, Mar 5, 2007.

1. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member

How far beyond the radius line to be cut do you lay pavers? Do you go one full paver or a couple more to hold the paver to be cut in place?

2. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd put several pavers, then pile sand tightly up against to hold the outter most pavers. It's not a good idea to saw your edges with the blade burried in the bedding sand, you'll wear out your blade very quickly. I'd scratch a line along the length, then cut one by one on a wet saw. Just my preference.

3. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

We lay out several pavers. To avoid burying the blade in the sand I make a mark on the saw blade the thickness of the pavers w/ a sharpie. Then when you are cutting you just plunge a little past the mark.

Chris

4. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member

So if your patio calls for 15 feet out you lay pavers to about 16 feet but cut at 15.
    Chris, Have you ever used one of the carts you attach to the saw?

5. cgland

STL - That's correct. I have never used a cart. I often thought about it, but I don't know if it would work too well. When we cut in place we angle the blade slightly so that the border fits tight. Too often I have seen blades that tend to warp out and when you butt your border to the cut you have a 1/8-1/4" gap.:nono: It would definately be easier on the back.

Chris

6. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

I found out today that supposedly Pave-Tech has a small wheeled guide that allows you to run the saw basically one handed, sets the depth, and eliminates all the stress on your back. I can't find this particular product on their web site and wonder if they still offer it???

7. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Mark- if you find out more on that, let me know, would you please? :waving:

8. cgland

^^^^^^
    Ditto!

Chris

9. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

ah, sh!t, I was hoping you guys would know more. Let me see what I can find.

10. cgland

Man! You lazy ba$tard! You bring up an idea then pawn off the research on everone else! Jeeeez!

Chris