Rail Dust?????

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by eggy, Dec 20, 2000.

1. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

I just purchased a new White Chevy pick up and noticed a fine covering of small rust colored spots...the dealer said this is rail dust...Anybody heard of this???

2. 4x4k20

4x4k20 LawnSite Member
    from ga

they are talking about it being hauled on a train the steel wheels of the train where they wear leave a dust of small particles and some comes from braking they settle on the trucks and rust.

3. eggy

Any ideas on how to get rid off it???

4. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi Eggy,
    I've been a bodyman for 15 years and have seen this many times and from different things, such as fallout from foundaries or any type of manufacturing facility, even the metallic from your front brake pads can fly up on the sides of your truck. The best way to get rid of this is to buff it off with a machine buffer, with a somewhat aggressive compound.It usually is a 2 or 3 step process involving a couple types of compound so swirls get eliminated. The dealership you bought the truck from should be able to do it, the only problem with that is they will have the cleanup kid do it most likely, and they are usually, well, lets just say not as skilled. I'm sure you don't want your new truck full of buffing swirls, or have them burn through the edges of the paint, the factory doesn't put any more clearcoat on then they have to. So just be careful about who does it, preferably one of the guys in the body shop. Hope this helped you a little.
    Randy Scott

5. Jeff's Classics

Jeff's Classics LawnSite Member

I would try a clay bar on it first. No damage to the paint is possible with the clay bar, but it pulls stuff like brake dust and possibly rail dust out of the paint. You can get it at Pep Boys and some of the other auto parts stores. I use Mothers brand, it comes in a red box and includes everything you need, the clay bar, the lubricant in a spray bottle, and even a small container of liquid wax. I'd do that first before letting someone buff it. It takes me about and hour or maybe even less to do my '99 Sierra pickup. Feels like brand new when finished. You can't set anything on the hood, it will slide right off!!
    Jeff

6. eggy

Thanks guys, I heard about using the clay bar around here from another guy I am going to request the dealer take care of it first trying the clay bar.....they said it did probably happen in transport and they will handle it...thanks

7. eggy

Well guys the truck has been to the body shop twice...for the clay bar and well no real luck...whenever the truck is in a rain..little specks..almost unseen when dry turn into huge rust spots....The dealer is starting to get PO'd with me but hey its not right and the truck has only 1500 miles...They are talking repainting??? Any tips????? Could it be something else?