Rail Road ties anyone? choo-choo

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Digdug, May 27, 2008.

1. Digdug

Digdug LawnSite Member

Can good ole creosoeted railroad ties be bought "new" anymore? Want to use some at my house , but not sure where to get them. Thanks doug
  2. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

The only ones I know about are usually used. I am not aware of any that are brand new.
  3. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

I'd check with old rail yards. You usually see them stacked up somewhere.

I also see that home cheapo every once in awhile has timbers (8x8) in a bundles for sale. I doubt they are creosote soaked but I'm sure then have some type of pressure treatment in them.
  4. cddva

cddva LawnSite Member

I think I've seen them for sale at Southern States stores in VA. Don't know if they have stores in your neck of the woods.
  5. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

They're available new. You'd have to get them from the same place the railroad gets them. Sometimes you can find expired ones along the tracks that are still pretty good for landscape use.
  6. Digdug

Digdug LawnSite Member

Thanks guys , i am in Maine. Would really like to get new ones. I'm thinking that i will have to buy them from where ever the railroad does? Maybe there is a railroad forum out there i can ask at? doug
  7. JimmyStew

JimmyStew LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Doug,

I too am in Maine and spent way too much time the year before last looking for some for a project. That was the last time. If someone really wants to do rr ties anymore I tell to find someone else. It's not worth my time or frustration trying to track them down. I tell them the cost would be prohibitive to use them over something else. Besides that, they are a serious pain to work with, literally. Stinky, sticky hands and clothes by days end (well, actually, after you touch the first one) they will dull a chainsaw in about 30 seconds and they are heavy as...well, you know.

As for new ones, I think they look much different that what you are use to. On the project I mentioned earlier, I found a lumber yard that had some "used rr ties" and was very excited. I ordered a bundle and had them delivered to the job site. When the truck arrived it had a bundled of 8"x8" squared off timbers (like any dimensional lumber you would buy) with a dark smudged appearance. I assume they were treated with creosote or the like but they basically looked like dirty lumber. Definitely not the look the customer wanted.
  8. wheels910

wheels910 LawnSite Member

maybe you could band 4 landscape timbers together to achieve the same size.

then soak in diesel for longevity

just a thought
  9. jlrvt

jlrvt LawnSite Member

I'm in Northern VT and have about 40 of these to get rid of if anyone is interested PM me!
  10. Digdug

Digdug LawnSite Member