Rail Road ties

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by John P., Apr 13, 2005.

1. John P.

John P. LawnSite Senior Member

I'm doing a retaining wall with rail road ties. I was wondering if there where any tips for the job or do's and don'ts

2. jreiff

jreiff LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

By alot of chainsaw blades, becasue when you cut them, they have so much tar and sand/ grit i nthem that it ruins that chain saw blades. Tar sticks to them and they dull very fast. You cannot really sharpen them with that tar on them, so basically have to throw them.

3. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Normally I wouldnt suggest this but, when sawing railroad ties with a chain saw, the chains will last longer if you can cut with the top of the bar instead of the bottom. Cutting with the top of the bar pushes the dirt and grit out of the cut path instead of dragging it thru the cut path. Also changing the chains before they tarnish from heat (not tar) will allow you to resharpen them more easily. You will still use a lot of chains so start with extras so you can change before you burn them up. Cutting with the top of the bar isnt the safest thing to do so use extreme care, watching for kickbacks. You dont want to wear a running chainsaw for a hat.

28 years experience doing tie installations for a class one railroad.

4. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

Use reciprocating saw

5. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

ditto.... dont use a chain saw, its an accident waiting to happen.

6. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Can you buy recipocating blades that long? I have seen some long ones but never any I thought would reach thru a cross tie. If they are available in the required length they should make a good alternative to a chainsaw.

7. RedWingsDet

from Detroit

yes you can. I bought mine at harbor fright, and they were long enough.

8. jd boy

jd boy LawnSite Member
    from nw ohio

what's that take, about 1/2 hour per cut.
    quit being a bunch of skirts and use a chain saw

9. RedWingsDet

from Detroit

cuts through them like butter actually. youd be supprised... Have you ever heard the saying, "dont nock something till ya try it" ?

10. cclllc

cclllc LawnSite Senior Member

I heard you can mix diesel fuel with the chain oil and it will help