Railroad tie steps

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Ben I, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Ben I

Ben I LawnSite Member

Does anyone have any pictures of railroad tie stairs? I am needing ideas for a customer. . . Help is appreciated thanks

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I would do an image search... and I would also go with treated 4X4s outlining pavers or flagstone, becuz they can be made more stable than ties...

3. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldn't do it. They get slick, probe to rot if not angled correctly , and unless put in the proper setting always look out of place

4. Colaguy

Colaguy LawnSite Senior Member

5. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

Real rr ties and pt 6x6 walls is all we did in the late seventies and 80s some are still around. You can expect a properly built 6x6 pt wall and steps to last min 20 years. With the occasional tie hear and their degrading prematurely.

6. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

ICK!!! Why build anything with RR ties? They are so nasty. All we ever do with RR ties is get paid to take them OUT of landscapes.

There are so many nicer options for steps/walls.

7. Barnabas

Barnabas LawnSite Member

Go with stone. much better!

8. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Synthetic 8x8 and soon stone look slabs will be the future. I've used old granite curb stones and PT but never RR for treads. They are rough and you will track the pitch everywhere. Plus I rarely find ones that aren't warped, twisted or filled with spike holes.
    Posted via Mobile Device