Railroad ties> Removal

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Paradise Landscapes, Aug 11, 2006.

1. Paradise Landscapes

Paradise Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

So many threads about railroad ties. Weather it be installation or disposal, there are none on removal.

What is the ways to remove rairoad ties? Some are burried 1 layer, some layer above ground with none below them.

For me, this is giving me a :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:
    ANY help is appreciated.

2. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

i am not sure i understand your question .why not use a backhoe with a 4in1 bucket to pick them out and load them to haul off ?

3. Paradise Landscapes

yep. Thats' what I thought. Use an excavator/backhoe. I don't think the owner wants equipment on property by the way he was talking.

4. start2finish

start2finish LawnSite Senior Member

too bad, if you are going to make an omelet then you are going to break a few eggs, if you are still doing the job with no equipment then pick axe, sledge hammer, big prybar. and sweat.

5. befnme

buy some sheets of 1/2" osb board to lay on the ground to run on and then you will not leave ruts in the lawn.

6. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I have use a chainsaw and cut them in 2 foot sections so that they fit in wheel barrow and run them to the trailer. It is easier than to move an 8 foot section. especially if you are working by yourself. Personally I will usually turn down these types of jobs unless they are for my good customers.

7. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

4 in 1 bucket :weightlifter:

8. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

Rent a mini loader...dingo, boxer, or whatever and get a set of forks for it. You can go right up the the cross ties and slide the forks underthem and lift it right up. Unless they are really stuck then it may take a little diggind to loosen them but you get the idea. And if you get a machine on tracks and put ply wood down you would not leave any tracks.

9. Paradise Landscapes

heres' what I am thinking now. Rent a track excavator, dig the ties that are in the ground. The ties ablove ground, take a chainsaw and cut them in 2' sections. I am planning on hauling them off.

What is a 4 in 1 bucket? Any pics?

10. befnme