rain about time

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Liberty Lawncare, Jul 13, 2004.

1. Liberty Lawncare

Liberty Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for sending the rain our way we really needed it. I skipped 15 lawns last week.:mad:
    Anybody else skip alot last couple of weeks?

2. SouthernFried

SouthernFried LawnSite Senior Member

I've been skipping lawns the last few months. I have never seen so much rain, over such in extended period of time here in South Texas.

It is putting my PR skills to a serious test. Not to mention my nerves when I finally do get to a lawn, and can't find it cuz of the grove of trees has taken over.

3. Liberty Lawncare

How can you skip with too much rain? If I skip with alot of rain it's a nightmare with our type of grass in the northeast.

4. SouthernFried

It's a nightmare with any type of grass I'd imagine.

Still, my alternative is to track up their yards...or wait.

We normally don't get much rain down here, so I'm not comfortable with running heavy mowers on saturated soil...it usually takes months for the tracks and grooves to disappear...so I wait.

But, I have to admit...this year it's been a real problem for me. My schedule is completely screwed, and on the first dry day, I get 20 customers calling to see if I'm coming by that day. I worked the whole July 4th weekend getting caught up from the previous weeks rain.

Never seen anything like it here.

5. Liberty Lawncare

southernfried What do you run for mowers?
    At least you can trim shrubs in the rain. Thats what I did today.

6. SouthernFried

Liberty...I run Gravely's. 36 and 50" belt driven WB's. Have a toro proline 21" that I rarely use as well. It's not the belt slippage that concerns me tho...its the tracks.

But, your right, I could do bush trimming. But, it's really the grass that is the problem.

I haven't found an easy solution to the rain we've been having, as far as mowing and keeping some sorta schedule. It's basically..."I'll mow as soon as I can" sorta thing.

I've always wondered how people in such rainy climates, like Seattle, handle all the rain. I've heard of some using Lawn brush attachments to deal with clumping. But, wheel tracks?

Mebbe ski attachments? ;)

7. Liberty Lawncare

How do you like the graveley's?
    try an airboat with a mower attached to the bow. Just kidding. Maby thats how they mow in Seattle?