Rain and Leaves

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by siklid1066, Nov 26, 2007.

1. siklid1066

siklid1066 LawnSite Member

In the N.Y. area its been tough.Your rained out one day,the leaves weigh a ton the next day, then it blows 40 mph.(then this cycle happens again)

2. JohnsonLawn

JohnsonLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I feel your pain brother, I still 21 cleanups left before we pack this up for the season and at this rate we will be in trouble. Late leaf fall, rain and wind all spell $$$$$ left on the ground if it snows early. Keep doing the best we can is all we can do.

3. PearceLawn

PearceLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I am with ya too. If I have time to look at Lawnsite....I am not making any money on the 20 or so I have left. Being a solo op ,I can only get about 3-4 per day done. I need a good stretch of weather to get it done this year.

Good luck to all.

4. siklid1066

siklid1066 LawnSite Member

Are you still on maintenance,3-4 cleanups a day seems alot.I will be doing clean ups in two weeks and I can only do 2 a day being solo.Leaves fell late so I kept the weeklys going but the leaves seemed to commit suicide in the past week and now this weather.

5. gobblet

gobblet LawnSite Member

Solo here, only starting final clean-ups this week 30 large properties to go, hope to be done by Christmas. Nothing like late leaf drop and one of the wettest falls I can recall in my 16 years of landscaping

6. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L LawnSite Member

All summer no rain, hence no grass to mow. Now we need to clean up the leaves and all it does is rain. I want it to hold off a few months and come back as snow! WET clean-ups are a pain in the !!! !

7. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I had one that took me twice as long as it should of this past Saturday......wet leaves = slow progress........

8. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

Well I just got back in and it's still raining. I did all the lime and fert apps today that I could get done where it wasn't too leafy.

All the leaves did kill themselves in unison this year, about 2 days ago. I was going to clean some leaves, but wet leaves are a waste of time to clean-up. Plus, the winds are supposed to howl the next day or so and thus anything not down yet will just fall tonight and tomorrow and create a new mess. I say screw it, I'll wait until they dry. Hopefully by tuesday. Stupid leaves.

9. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I would just like to know where all the rain was this summer when we needed it! Now its fall and we can't get anything done because of rain and this past summer everything was dead because of the lack of rain. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

10. PearceLawn

PearceLawn LawnSite Senior Member

With the light snow we had the lawns have all but shut down growth wise. So no more cutting for me!!

I start at 7:30 am and get done around 5 or so when it is dark. I use my bagger from the mower to speed things up a bit but 3-4 a day is a long but average for me around here. I have a few larger props that will cut me down to 2 a day but they are all close enough to each other that there is no drive time. That is a huge advantage. Park the truck in the morning and don't start it again until it is time to wrap up the day.

Lots of caffeine helps too!!:rolleyes: