rain and my redmax trimmer

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by chaduco19, May 12, 2004.

  1. chaduco19

    chaduco19 LawnSite Member
    from midwest
    Posts: 25

    it rained today again. well my redmax 2600 that is a few years old runs perfectly starts on second r third pull. except in rainy conditions im not talkin downpour just drizzling. what could be happening
     
  2. fixer67

    fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member
    Posts: 2,100

    You have a cracked coil. Humidity is getting in the coil and grounding it out. Take a hair dryer and dry out the coil. You should be able to do this without taking it apart. If you want to try what I did to a B&S 5HP some years back. I took the coil and put it in an oven at 200 degrees for about half an hour to make good and sure it was dryed out. Then I took lacquer and coated it to reseal it(let it ccol first). I got another 5 years out of that coil. Try the hair dryer first to make sure that is your problem. I feel that it is. Good luck.
     
  3. chaduco19

    chaduco19 LawnSite Member
    from midwest
    Posts: 25

    i was thinkin like that but i pulled the plug out and grounded it to the head and pulled the starter rope and could see the spark. replaced and still no start. how much spark should there be now that i think about it it wasnt much but definatly was there
     
  4. grass_cuttin_fool

    grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member
    Posts: 3,504

    I had my Robin trimmer do the same thing the other day, a small amount of rust had set up on the coil and wasnt getting a good signal from the fly wheel and little spark. Removed the coil and cleaned with a wire brush and was back in buisness
     
  5. fixer67

    fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member
    Posts: 2,100

    if the spark is weak it will not fire under compression. You said that wet weather caused it to act up. it has to have something to do with the humidity then. And if you are using a resistor plug and a weak spark you can almost forget it firing under compression. Remove and clean the coil like "grass_cuttin_fool" said but while you are there try drying it out with the hiar dryer. I feel real strong that it is a damp coil problem you have. I could be wrong.
     
  6. LynyrdSkynyrd

    LynyrdSkynyrd LawnSite Member
    Posts: 179

    Also spray the On/Off switch with a good electrical contact cleaner. Water can hamper the operation of the switch and use it for ground taking away part of the "juice" from the coil.
     

Share This Page