Rain and turn marks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Buddy Buds, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Buddy Buds

Buddy Buds LawnSite Member

We've had rain this week and I've had trouble with tire skids when I turn my Scag. How to stop this?

2. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Are you doing a 3pt or "K" turn?? If your sliding on a side hill, try angleing up the hill a little, and dont try to turn when going down hill if possible. I back down some hills and go straight up the hill when they are too wet....:usflag:

3. phlandscaping

phlandscaping LawnSite Member

Also check tire pressure, may be running to high...

4. capnsac

capnsac LawnSite Senior Member

You have to pick your machine up and rotate it on its front caster wheels in order to avoid turf tear. Or, or, a big orrrr, you can go in circles. Well not circles, but you know, none straight lines, swing it wide, come back in, swing it wide again, come back in, so on and so forth. I adopted the circle technique, my back was getting a little sore.

5. Trenchblade

Trenchblade LawnSite Senior Member

you could also try doing a double boarder, making wider turns within that boarder.

6. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

k turn and like trenchblade said, make a wider border, make the wide turn, then re-cut the border when finished.

7. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Slow Down..............

8. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I agree, slow down, it will stop it from happening every time. I can make the tires skid doing a "K" turn but it's only because I'm going to fast while trying to whip it around. The cure, slow down. :D